CMBB and Sis 650 (video diver) incompatability

I was having trouble getting CMBB to run on my new computer, which has a sis 650 video driver. While looking through the troubleshooting section I noticed that the Sis 650 video driver had compatability issues with CMBB. Does anybody know anything about this or if there is a remedy for this?

CMBO runs fine so maybe there is a way to fix the problem...

[ July 19, 2003, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: KG_Scout ]

assuming this is an 'integrated' video chipset, if you have an agp slot on the computer you can buy a separate video card and install it. remember to make the switch (from onboard to video card) in the 'cmos setup' which is usually 'press del to enter setup' at the very start of the boot...

if you have no agp slot you might still be able to use a pci card.......

The reason CMB0 works fine with the SiS 650 (and earlier integrated video chipsets from SiS) is that the texture size in CMBO is smaller than CMBB. CMBB uses larger textures that the drivers (and quite possibly) the hardware can't handle correctly. I believe the SiS 650 is considered a discontinued product and SiS has stopped driver development on it, so no fix would be forthcoming to my knowledge.

The only way to get CMBB to work on a SiS 650 is to downsample all of the large bitmaps. This would be quite a bit of work, but I beleive it would get CMBB working.

** Correction: the SiS 650 is still a current product and the latest drivers are somewhat recent (though they probably don't fix the problem). You can download them from SiS. After clicking on the 'agreement' button, make the following selections: 'Category': Graphics, 'Subcategory': Integration Chipsets, 'Product': SiS 650, 'OS System': your Windows version.

The SiS 650's graphics core is based on the SiS 315 GPU (similar to the SiS 740 which exists for AMD CPUs), which should be capable of playing CMBB (though I haven't personally checked). The problem most likely centers around a texture size support, which is the case with most of the earlier chipsets before the 650. However I can't seem to find these specs on the chip. If we're lucky a driver update may finally fix this problem, but SiS is typically pretty slow to fix problems with their drivers.

[ July 21, 2003, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I've got a new computer (last Spring) running an Athlon 1800, 512 meg RAM, and guess what? It runs a SiS 740 integrated video card. It runs CMBO OK, although everything appears too dark. With CMBB, forget it. I've got the latest drivers, too. I really want the Africa Korps Game when it comes out....is it going to gove me the same pain?