Moyon - AARs anyone?

Just spent a very relaxing weekend in Normandy in a nice little gite near Moyon (south of St Lo) and have to say that each time I see the bocage it drives home what a shocker it must have been to attack through.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any info on battles around Moyon and Tessy sur Vire? Be of interest to the people we stayed with.

G

Well Tessy sur Vire and the area around was the scene of the opening battles of operation COBRA. Very heavy figting indeed.

Tessy sur Vire celebrates August 1st as liberation day. They claim US 30 Division liberated them. I haven't actually been there, just noted it in my travel journal. So somebody told me I guess.

There was a rather big and boisterous celebration of liberation in Moyon that I did frequent. July 31st. If you had ever served in the US 29th Division, or generally were from around Baltimore it seemed, you'd most probably get free wine and food. As a German, I had to pay of course smile.gif I took it Moyon was liberated by 29th, and that the 29th was recruited in Baltimore, and so maybe their divisional history will reveal the circumstances. But I never really asked. Its still a bit awkward to ask about the war you know.

Come to think of it, I guess you don't smile.gif Next time, I'll fake being British when I ask the old timers about the war.

Did you get any good pictures of the bocage area? That you'd like to share I mean. Always interesting to see I think. I've got some space on a server if you'd need someplace to put them up so they can be posted here.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Well, I didn't get any pictures this time, but I can get loads if you want. What sort do you need? I can ask my contacts over there to go mad with a camera.

There is a particular road into St Lo that runs down from bocage country that must be 1:4 slope - all I could think about was what a fantastic arty spot position. It was to the south, so the axis would have had it....

G

As I recall, the 29th ID was called the "blue and grey". I think they had the ying and yang symbol in blue and grey as their divisional patch. IIRC, this is because it was made up of National Guard units from north and south of the Mason Dixon line, hence the "Blue and Grey". For those unfamiliar with the reference, the Mason Dixon Line divided North and South in the US civil war.

I may be wrong, it has been rumored to happen.

Grumlin,

I didn't really have any specific spot in mind. Just environmental, panorama type and detail. You know the kind that gives a good idea of what the terrain really looks like, in shape and colour. Also I was curious if they (used to) build in Caen stone all the way to the Vire valley. I have a pretty rich photo material on the landscape in most weathers from Caen up to (about) Putot, but my material on real bocage country, which starts west of there, is pretty bleek really.

But you know I didn't mean to cause any problem or send people off to a lot of work. I just thought that if you had some holiday photo's many of us here would probably be thrilled to see them. Scenario designers, modders and plain grognards smile.gif

Cheerio

Dandelion