Off Topic Computer help

Hi fellow gamers. I am new to this site, but have been very impressed with how well everyone works together. I am looking forward to the new naval game (Dangerous Waters) - use to play harpoon years ago- anyone remember that title?

My main question for you computer experts is this: I plan on building my next computer- What is the best way to go about buying computer components? Thanks in advance.

Hi Charles, welcome!

For computer info, I like Anand Tech for reviews and discussions. Great site.

P.S. Expect to have this moved to the Tech Support or General Discussion Forum, don't be alarmed. smile.gif

P.S.S. Make sure you try the Combat Mission demo's, you wont be dissapointed!

Write down what you want out of your system, and also how much you're prepared to spend.

Then start reviewing each component you want to see what's the best for your purpose, and whether there are compatibility issues between components (ie certain memory chips work with certain motherboards).

Add these up and see if the total cost if within your budget (you may need to revisit each component or up the budget if it isn't)

Mace

PS Since this topic is a certain candidate for a move to the General Forum.....HI MOM!

This post is probably in the wrong forum, but I can't pass up a tech question. :D

Having built a few computers and upgraded a few others, my personal advice would be to use a site like newegg.com to order the whole computer at once. Oh, and research, research, research before you do so.

To start with, decide which brand and speed of cpu you want, find a motherboard that is compatible with it, and then pick out everything else, making sure it's compatible with the motherboard.

For "important" things like the motherboard / cpu, if you aren't sure what you're looking for in particular, a good place to start (if you are using newegg) is by looking for items with both lots of reviews and a high average score. See what both the good and the bad reviews have to say about it. When you've narrowed it down to a few selections, do some more research using Google. Cutting and pasting the item name into the search bar and adding the word 'review' is a good place to start.

The rest of the computer you don't need to be so thorough with, as long as you make sure that everything you are getting will work with the motherboard. This really shouldn't be much of a concern once you have the cpu and ram picked out.

One thing I would recommend you splurge a little on is the case. It might seem silly to spend $100 on the case when you can get by with less than $30, but the case I bought for this computer was not only a breeze to work with when assembling, its also runs 20 degrees cooler than my old computer and is quieter to boot. Having worked with cases where removing a drive is an epic battle and things get so hot you can't touch them unless the computer's been off for awhile, that's a big relief.