Has anyone read Terry Copp's Fields of Fire?

I read it. It's very short, but very good.

Here's the comment I left on Amazon 2 years ago:

Once you start reading this book, it's pretty hard to actualy stop. Kopp manages to make each sentence important and worthwhile, which makes for a book that is both "short" and intense. At long last a book in which the commonwealth is not regarded as 2nd rate player behind the US forces. An amazing story of courage with the right ammount of technical details and historical accuracy for it to be used in serious research.

Originally posted by cassh:

Just wondered if anyone had read Terry Copp's Fields of Fire.

Yes. Yes, I have.

I'm going to order it now, but was interested to see what you guys thought?

I think that you don't need our permission to order it. Enjoy the read.

Copp has some interesting outlooks vis a vis the Canadians in Normandy that would appear to be at odds with the previous interpretations of that campaign by C.P. Stacey, the official Army historian, and John English.

I read it and used it as a source for my Normandy Pack ops. It was interesting and seemed to be well researched. The main goal seemed to be to debunk the notion that the Canadian forces had lackluster performance in the Normandy campaign.

The book takes you through a brief description of the Canadian OOB and military philosophy and has a section on every major operation the Canadians were involved in throughout the Normandy campaign, form Juno to Falaise. I would recomend it.

Originally posted by Emar:

I read it and used it as a source for my Normandy Pack ops. It was interesting and seemed to be well researched. The main goal seemed to be to debunk the notion that the Canadian forces had lackluster performance in the Normandy campaign.

The book takes you through a brief description of the Canadian OOB and military philosophy and has a section on every major operation the Canadians were involved in throughout the Normandy campaign, form Juno to Falaise. I would recomend it.

"The hardest part about training to fight Canadian doctrine, is that the Canadian Army has no doctrine."

--apocryphal quote commonly attributed to a Soviet general during the Cold War.

Canada had a Military Philosophy even before that? What was it? ;)

MD,

"I think that you don't need our permission to order it. Enjoy the read."

Maybe things change last night when I went to bed, and unawares i am living in a changed world? Have the government set up a Covert Approved Book Squad that pounce on unsuspecting consumers who inadvertently cross the Dorosh List.

Anyway thanks all for the 'good read' heads-up.

From the blurb and customer reviews it appears to be an interesting form of revisionist history. I merely wonder what those who had read it thought...