Aachen...thrown into the crucible (long)

Greetings,

I must start out by stating that I have been following these forums for years, but only just recently got my hands on CM:BO. For my first mission, I choose (predictably enough) "A Chance Encounter" playing as the Allies on standard settings. I won fairly convincingly, knocking out all the German armor with concentrated fire while losing only two Shermans myself (one quite stupidly). I assumed this mission was in favor of the allies by the number of German conscripts I steam rolled over. Anyway, I was looking for something more challenging to sink my teeth into when my eye was caught by Mr. Wilder's "Aachen". City fighting? Yum. I was a bit apprehensive about the short game length (I like the slow methodical approach, connecting all the dots as I go). Regardless, I fired it up and moved into the maelstrom that was Aachen.

************Spoilers Ahead****************

I was immediately struck by the oppressive, claustrophobic setting. Small cobblestone lanes where sandwiched by modest stone and wooden houses with my forces serving as the "jam". Given three in-roads to my ultimate objective (an once opulent hotel), I abandoned the middle lane and doubled up my forces on the left approach (adding the M7 to their ranks). On the Right, I positioned my Sherman and a Platoon of riflemen. Onward!

Seconds later, the silence of the smoldering city was torn by the demonic chatter of MG42's hidden in the tiny homes of people who had long since fled. My men scrambled for cover, while I positioned my Priest for midday service. The M7’s fearsome gun belched out steel and smoke, raining down destruction on brick, mortar, wood and flesh alike. Meanwhile, on the right flank, my Sherman, flanked by emboldened GI's, crept forward, scanning every doorway and shutterless window. Then it happened.

The patience of veteran soldiers is as deadly as any bullet. As I crept forward, houses I thought were empty roared to life, gnashing at my exposed, confused troops. Screams and curses filled the streets now awash with American blood. "Panzerfaust"! From a blackened doorway came gout of flame and smoke. The missile hit the Priest squarely in the barrel; its long-range bite was now muzzled. As the M7 feverishly reversed its once cocky advance, a second anti-armor team slammed death into the exposed left side of my Sherman. As the crew bailed out, they were cut down by machinegun fire from an unobtrusive second story window. In less than 60 seconds, I had lost my armor, my advantage, and (almost) my nerve.

In the confusion, most of my infantry had scrambled into heavy buildings, filing up to attics and second story windows. It was then that the battle reached its sharp, dangerous apex. My forces balanced on that impossibly narrow point, knowing full well that any falter, any misstep, would see them fall into the chasm of defeat. Time melted to a halt as gunfire raced from window to window, steel sparrows flitting across the cratered and crimson streets below. Then, Sgt. Boomer, a young man of not more than 24, grabbed the Spear of Opportunity and rushed headlong into the enemy . His men smashed down the door of a well to do home and entered with legendary fury and purpose. The cleared the rooms and floors like a chill autumn wind through a pile of spent, withered leaves. One of the objectives had been taken; the left flank was now in the hands of the Allies. And the enemy faltered.

The Germans were veterans, nearly to the last man, and they fought as such. The next several minutes gave birth to fits and starts of death and pain. Satchel charges tossed into windows, grenades passing each other in mid-flight, puffs of smoke and dirt skipping down the street towards yet another faceless, nameless foe. Through the smoke, Allies in the rear could now see their own men entering the hotel amid primal roars and stomach wrenching screams. The German defense suddenly lost its hold like so much ice and snow sliding off a roof under Spring's disapproving stare. The end was swift, but there was unfinished business to tend to.

For some time now, a crew of Germans manning a 50 MM field piece was gleefully smashing the homes of any house with an American face hanging in the window, confident in the fact that since the American armor was gone, they were now the only sharks in the sea. Sgt. Boomer narrowed his gaze from a nearby building. "Those sons a bitches are about to wish their mothers had never met their fathers"! Without another word, 10 men, led by Michael "Big" Boomer, closed on the gun with the power of purpose. "Open up, give it to em full on the nose"! Garands and Thompsons announced their late arrival to the deadly dance as the crew wildly spun its gun towards this new treat. Grenades tumbled through the smoky, choking air landing with unerring accuracy. The Pak 38 roared in protest, now not more than 20 meters from Boomer and his men. 9 men rushed on, laying down ferocious fire on the frantic crew. Then, by a landslide of flesh and steel, the Germans were buried; silenced forevermore.

As reinforcements spilled into the burnt-out husk of Aachen, a blue-eyed boy from the Bronx turned to one of the victors. “What in the Virgin Mary’s name happed here, Sir”? “Sgt. Boomer and his men happened here. And over there. And up there. And down by that Pak 38. Sad to see you missed the party, son”.

[ May 31, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Shrapper ]

" .......... houses I thought were empty roared to life, gnashing at my exposed, confused troops. "

I've never seen gnashing houses roaring or otherwise.

Which mod are you using for that? :D:D

And your troops shouldn't be exposing themselves either. They'll be arrested :D

Love your AAR, BTW. Ever considered writing as a career?

I like the way this AAR was written, some good descriptive writing makes it alot easier to read than the average AAR, but it lacks some detail. Maybe you would consider writing one descriptive

AAR like this, and follow it with a more standard AAR, containing the actual meat and potatoes of the battle, with more exact OB's and actions.

Unless of course it was a short story and not an AAR, if that was the case, bravo, but some more character development would be helpful.