g-force 4 mx440 locking up.

Well, i know you guys have heard about this before, but here we go again. Yes i have tried the 30.87 driver and the 41.09 driver smae things happen. I also installed directx9 and still locking up. Sometimes it just freezes up when a text appears (woods, trench, ect....) sometimes it freezes up and the ambient noise just goes on like a broken record. When is the new drivers going to be out, or can battlefront fix this problem. I want to play this game real bad, but i get tired of rebooting smile.gif

AMD t-bird 1.2

256 mb ram

g-force 4 mx440

Perhaps you have problems with your computer rather than CMBB actually having a bug that is causing your problem. The lockups could be caused by all sorts of possibilities, with the NVidia video driver being one of them. Perhaps you have cooling problems with your CPU - CM will run your CPU at 100% utilization, which may be causing it to overheat.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily. WinXP is an improvement over Win98, but it may not fix your problem. A variety of things could be affecting your problem, from drivers, other software, to hardware problems.

Upgrading your Win98 installation to WinXP may also result in other problems. An 'in place' upgrade, where you install the new OS over the old one, can result in a number of problems because of all the registry entries, files, etc. that make up the old installation could still interfere with the new OS. If you want to experiment with XP, you may want to backup your current Win98 installation and install XP from scratch.

When you change drivers, it is highly recommended that you uninstall the previous set. Preferably going back to either a 'generic SVGA' in the case of video drivers or whatever default is offered by the OS. Sometimes a manual delete of driver files and registry editing may be necessary to remove all previous vestiges of a driver in order to have a 'clean slate'. Once this is done then newer drivers can be installed.

I don't think you need to purchase another video card at this point.

I suggest 1) uninstalling your current Nvidia video drivers; 2) installing the 'generic SVGA' driver (don't reinstall the NVidia driver, even if Windows prompts you to); 3) installing the appropriate chipset/AGP drivers for your motherboard (possibly VIA ?); 4) reinstalling DirectX (I guess you'll have to stick with 9.0 since you've already installed it); and then 5) reinstalling the 30.82 drivers. You will need to reboot between each of the above steps before proceeding with the next one.

You could possibly have issues with sound or other devices.

) installing the 'generic SVGA' driver (don't reinstall the NVidia driver, even if Windows prompts you to); 3) installing the appropriate chipset/AGP drivers for your motherboard (possibly VIA ?)

What are or is the Generic Driver?

Where can i find the appropriate chipset/ AGP drivers at?

How much meomory does it take to have large battles? like 10000 pts each. and to make maps 3000m by 3000m?

Do you think larger battles cause this?

It has only locked up once in small battles?

) installing the 'generic SVGA' driver (don't reinstall the NVidia driver, even if Windows prompts you to); 3) installing the appropriate chipset/AGP drivers for your motherboard (possibly VIA ?)

What are/or is the Generic Driver?

Where can i find the appropriate chipset/ AGP drivers at?

How much meomory does it take to have large battles? like 10000 pts each. and to make maps 3000m by 3000m?

Do you think larger battles cause this?

It has only locked up once in small battles?