Little help: Via 4-1/Clock Latency

Hi guys,

Questions for a computer Guru:

A)Can someone explain very generally what Via 4-1 drivers do?

B)Do they influence PCI/AGP 'latency timers'?

C)Is a '248 clocks' a reasonable 'latency timer' for a AGP slot?

D)My Sandra system analysis program warns I had a "PCI latency too high: Device could hog the bus for too long."

Can anyone clue me into the possible meaning of that and could it cause system failure?

--Dave

I highly recommend installing the VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers. They address quite a few issues on occasion and I find them a necessary component for high-performance AGP video cards.

As for PCI latency, I'm not sure what to recommend or what is a good value. Here's a website with some of the general issues about VIA chipsets (though this encompasses many VIA chipsets and isn't always applicable to the latest chipsets).

As for your PCI latency being too high... do you have a Creative soundcard/chip (even one built-into the motherboard) ? These devices don't have bus-mastering and can 'hog the bus'. I'm not sure what the optimal setting for PCI latency would be. If you have documentation on your motherboard you can experiment with the CMOS/BIOS settings for PCI Latency (not 'memory latency', which usually shouldn't be labelled that way, but just in case...). Usually it's just a small, single interger for a value. Lower being faster, but possibly less stable depending on the PCI devices you have. I'm not sure what effect PCI Latency has on AGP video cards. While AGP is a sub-or-superset of the PCI specification, I don't think it is tied to the bus for timing settings, etc.

Here's another page describing VIA chipset patches & issues.

Absolutely outstanding, I can't thank you enough for your quick and incredibly helpful replies Schrullenhaft!

I've just begun going over the links you've provided but they're already tremendously informative.

My only regret is I never asked earlier, instead of trying to fight through endless google searches and help files on my own. smile.gif

--Dave