Odd Freeze

I cleared up a sound card problem this week, but now I have another problem.

I'm using the Tutorial battle. About 7-12 turns in, I start getting a herky jerky cursor. That is soon followed by all the graphics deteriorating to colorful blocks, quickly becoming impossible to see the battle map. I then have to quit the game. The sound works fine all through it. This wasn't happening before I reinstalled my soundcard software.

I have a two year old P2-400, 2XVoodoo2/16s with SLI, Sonic Impact Sound card, Viper 330 AGP card, Hitachi Superscan Elite 751 19" monitor, and 128 megs of RAM.

Anyone have some idea on what is causing this, and better still, what I can do about it?

------------------

Skoonj

Excelsior, Fathead!

--Jean Shepherd, circa 1956

Do you know what you are using for DirectX in CM ? Is it the Voodoo SLI or the Diamond Viper V330 (if you're getting "high quality" smoke you may not be using the Voodoo SLI) ?

Here's the latest Diamond driver for the Viper V330 (v. 130):

http://www.diamondmm.com/default.asp?menu=support&sub_menu=Legacy_Gr aphics&item=drivers&product=Viper_V330

The Viper V330 is based on the nVidia Riva 128 series. You may want to remove the Diamond drivers and install the nVidia Reference Drivers (v. 3.41):

Reactorcritical (go to Riva 128 section):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

I'm guessing that you may have the latest Voodoo2 SLI drivers for your card. Do you know if your soundcard is PCI or not ? If it is PCI, then it may be sharing an IRQ with the video card (go to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click on the "Computer" and scroll through the list of IRQs. Check to see if anything is sharing an IRQ with your primary video card (or your Voodoo SLIs for that matter as they may be your DirectX display). Anything that isn't "IRQ Holder for PCI Steering" is "sharing" an IRQ (which is allowed, but may cause problems like what you're seeing). Such sharing of IRQs is only going to matter in CM's case if it is doubling up with the video or sound card.

What resolution are you running CM at ? Apparently both the Viper V330 and your Voodoo SLI will have a problem trying to support anything over 800 x 600 (there isn't enough memory for the Viper V330 to support 3D beyond 960 x 720).

You have disabled any "themes" under Windows and you're using the "standard/default" windows pointers correct ? If not these options can lead to mouse cursor corruption under CM.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 08-21-2000).]