Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

What happens with CM + multi-monitor?

Consider this a pre-emptive technical question.

Later this week I'll be getting back a 21" monitor I loaned out. My GF4 has dual-outputs, so I was going to play with multi-monitor. If nothing else I can watch DVDs while I work. smile.gif

I'm wondering if anybody else has tried running CM with multi-monitor activated, and whether it works or causes problems.

I haven't tried it myself, but I highly doubt that it will work. CM seems to be limited to 1600 x 1200 resolution under DirectX. Multi-monitor setups sometimes create a larger virtual resolution desktop that I don't think CM will recognize. There may also be other reasons involving DirectX limitations (or possibly driver limitations) that prevent multi-monitor setups from being a simple support option (i.e. - not requiring extensive and explicit code to support a multi-monitor setup)

I believe this may be true on the Mac too. CM will only come up on one monitor. The other should still have the desktop displayed (or possibly go black while in the game).

Thanks. I should have worded it more clearly -- I didn't expect CM to run on both monitors. I know DX only supports 3D output to a single display, and doing any game-related output to additional displays requires extra code I know isn't in CM.

I was just wondering if the Windows desktop would remain visible in the other screen, or worse, if activating multi-monitor would hose up CM.

I guess sometime next week, I'll know. smile.gif I'll post what happens...

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of interesting, you can continue to see the Windows desktop on the second monitor. Unfortunately you can't mouse over to the other monitor, but I can at least leave things like e-mail up and running and keep an eye on my WinMX transfers and so on.

There is one odd quirk though. Normally I have both monitors running at 1280x960, but CM is at 1024x768. It looks like the "extra" 256 horizontal pixels from monitor A pushes over into monitor B, and monitor B's image is shifted off the screen by that much.

Also, now that I'm writing this, I'm wondering if my odd non-appearing AAR problem might be related to multi-mon... oh well.

So, now you know. smile.gif