Oob in CMAK ?

I'm guessing he means an in game switch for seeing all forces. No, there isn't one yet.

I've found that some designers get around this problem in big scenarios by having large amounts of forces as reinforcements. That way there is less of a headache on the first turn. Or the designer limits set up zones for units.

I wanted such a feature way back in the last millenium. But large scenarios are so messy anyway that I wonder how much of a help it would be.

Jason

Originally posted by guachi:

I'm guessing he means an in game switch for seeing all forces. No, there isn't one yet.

I've found that some designers get around this problem in big scenarios by having large amounts of forces as reinforcements. That way there is less of a headache on the first turn. Or the designer limits set up zones for units.

I wanted such a feature way back in the last millenium. But large scenarios are so messy anyway that I wonder how much of a help it would be.

Jason

Thanks, exactly what I mean. So many games have had them over the years, surprised the cm series doesn't.

Bascically been two versions, with the best being, click on an oob button(or hotkey, or whatever), and a screen comes up showing the oob of the side you're playing.

Click on a unit in that screen, and the game goes to that unit on the field.

Lots of other things they do too, but this function would be very nice for the series.

Beats scrolling around, looking, etc., even in modest size scenarios.

Originally posted by SoDak:

...the best being, click on an oob button(or hotkey, or whatever), and a screen comes up showing the oob of the side you're playing.

This is exactly the system I suggested/requested two or three years ago. We'll see if it makes it into CMx2

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SoDak:

...the best being, click on an oob button(or hotkey, or whatever), and a screen comes up showing the oob of the side you're playing.

This is exactly the system I suggested/requested two or three years ago. We'll see if it makes it into CMx2

Michael </font>

Originally posted by junk2drive:

in the meantime you are missing out on some great gameplay. buy the bundle, learn the game, and wait for the next generation.

Actually, I've tried cmbo and cmbb, still have them for that matter.

But its never lasted long on the hd, partly b/c of this thread topic.

I haven't found not having an OOB to be a problem once the scenario starts. Unfortunately, having an OOB, exactly as described in this thread, would be a great help in the sometimes very lengthy set up.

QBs are the worst because all the forces are on the map at once and the setup is so free form. What a nightmare it is setting up a battlion of infantry plus all their support weapons.

BFC has their reasons for not having an OOB, but their reasons carry no weight with me if the OOB screen is limited to JUST the set up.

Initially, an OOB wasn't deemed necessary partially because large scenarios requiring one weren't envisioned as playable.

Jason

Originally posted by guachi:

I haven't found not having an OOB to be a problem once the scenario starts. Unfortunately, having an OOB, exactly as described in this thread, would be a great help in the sometimes very lengthy set up.

QBs are the worst because all the forces are on the map at once and the setup is so free form. What a nightmare it is setting up a battlion of infantry plus all their support weapons.

BFC has their reasons for not having an OOB, but their reasons carry no weight with me if the OOB screen is limited to JUST the set up.

Initially, an OOB wasn't deemed necessary partially because large scenarios requiring one weren't envisioned as playable.

Jason

Another good function of a quality oob, is to show each units status at a glance, instead of having to click on *each* unit, as is the case now.

Real pain.

I've never heard the reasons why BFC doesn't use them, can you explain ?

One thing I do that makes it a trifle easier (and believe me, I'd love to have an OOB screen or I wouldn't have bothered to ask for one) is to use the + key to go through my forces in order, noting which platoons etc. have the leaders with which bonuses. Then I go back through and start organizing my assault platoons according to the order in which I want them to advance and place them on the map. Any units I've chosen to give fire support or to constitute reserves also get placed. By this time I have a pretty clear idea of who is where and know where to go to find them.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

One thing I do that makes it a trifle easier (and believe me, I'd love to have an OOB screen or I wouldn't have bothered to ask for one) is to use the + key to go through my forces in order, noting which platoons etc. have the leaders with which bonuses. Then I go back through and start organizing my assault platoons according to the order in which I want them to advance and place them on the map. Any units I've chosen to give fire support or to constitute reserves also get placed. By this time I have a pretty clear idea of who is where and know where to go to find them.

Michael

Thanks Michael, just might have to dig up the cd's and try it out.

how would you guys compare a large setup in cm to board games and turn based hex computer games like steel panthers?

i cringe at battles with large groups all mixed together in a lump. but i'm starting to remember how many hours i've spent setting up other games.

maybe part of the fun?