KYRO Chipsets/Hercules 4500

I recently purchased one of the above graphics cards and, whilst it has rejuvenated Quake and Unreal beyond measure, CM is totally shagged: the unit information data is scrambled, as is most other non-fixed text. it is just about legible at the lowest res, but this is a nightmare to play on. i've deleted the prefs file, which is how i got to change the res. any other suggestions?

There were some previous posts about this card/chipset a little while back. I'm not sure if someone has found a completely satisfactory answer or not. The following thread gives some regisry hacks you can apply that may help. You'll probably want to read through the whole thread before attempting it though.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001618

Here's another thread explaining what you may still see with the 'fix' applied:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001705

You'll also probably want to get the latest drivers from Hercules (v. 7.114):

http://us.hercules.com/support/byprod.php3

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the fixes mentioned by Slider in the string above and got some improvement. But, the text and moral info was still incorrect. And as Schrullenhaft points out, the 3d is very poor and game very slow.

I hope I corrected the reg files correctly. I copied Sliders fix to a Note Pad file (Word won't work later when you try to import the registry file.) The imported the Note Pad via the Registry/Import Registry as Schrullenhaft suggested. Got a reply that said registry files had been updated and used the Registry/Exit to exit.

But still not working right. Have latest Driver on new card. I just think CM is not gonna work on the KayproII Chipset's in the Prophet 4500 cards. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Unfortunately this will remain an issue for CMBB/CM2. While there are changes to the interface and the default resolution of the textures is being increased, the problems that the Kyro II's are currently experiencing with CMBO will be similar for CMBB/CM2.

Depending on how serious Hercules/ST Micro/PowerVR are about getting market penetration for the Kyro, there may be updates to the driver before CMBB/CM2 comes out that may address these problems.

I will talk to Madmatt and see if he has any time to contact ST Micro (who has a developer website) to report the problems CM has with their drivers. Unfortunately even a reported problem to the driver development team doesn't guarantee that the issue will be resolved .

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

There is nothing that Madmatt can really do about this problem other than report it through the developer channel for ST Micro. He won't really be reporting back on the problem unless ST Micro communicates back with him on solutions or other information that would be pertinent to end-users.

It is up to ST Micro to check their drivers and decide whether it is worth the effort to change them and fix the problem. Sometimes compatibility is sacraficed for performance in driver development. Some fixes for compatibility may result in drivers with much lower benchmark scores and for internal reasons some developers may refuse to fix a problem with a title that doesn't sell a million copies that may risk such an outcome (this isn't always true, but it probably is on occasion).

CMBO is using DirectX calls appropriately, but some video drivers just don't work in all situations. CM uses a mix of 2D and 3D elements on the screen that isn't very common to most gaming titles. CMBO is considered a finished product at BTS (in other words no new patches are forthcoming), so there is little that can be done about some issues. While there are a few problems internal to CMBO's code (some of which are hard to consistently reproduce), a vast majority of the problems players encounter are actually caused by the insufficient drivers provided with most hardware. For many of the video problems that people are experiencing, they'll have to wait until the manufacturer's driver development team fixes the issue. For some products there will be no fixes (hopefully that won't be true of the Kyro II).

Yes. He is aware of it and I assume he's written to ST Micro or Hercules about the issue. Again, there is little that he can do about this since it is definitely a driver issue. Not to sound too downbeat about this issue, but even the next set of drivers may not address this issue in CM.

denisetrac (Tracy) claimed that she raised some interest in the problem at Hercules tech support when she reported the problem to them. So if you have a Hercules Prophet 4000 series card you may want to give them a call. Assuming that Hercules is tracking the game compatibility issues, they may weigh-in more heavily with ST Micro for developing fixes (since they're probably their largest OEM customer).

Are you asking about program-specific enteries for the Kyro drivers or are you asking about CM making any sort of entry into your registry ?

There were some previous posts on the Kyro II where Tiger put up some registry hacks for Combatmission beta demo, which would be the same (other than the executable name I assume) for CMBO. Have you applied these registry hacks (there are instructions in the thread - search for Kyro).