Malta

As we are waiting for CMAK, I was thinking that it might be neat if some good hypothetical scenarios were developed for the Malta Invasion that the Germans almost launched.

Also, a question. Does anyone think that the Germans could have pulled off a successful invasion of Malta and if so what effect would it have had on the war in North Africa?

I haven't ever seriously investigated this but my thought (off the top of my head) is that based on the mauling the German para's initially had at Crete and considering that the Allies had Ultra it would have been a real iffy thing for the Germans to take Malta. And even if they suceeded it probably would not have affected Torch and thus probably wouldn't have affect the course of the war that much. Anybody agree or disagree with this?

Other than removing an important Allied navel base it wouldn't have too much of an effect. Its hard to say what would have happened since it didn't. :D I wouldn't have been surpised if it made it easier to transport supplies to the AK though.

[ October 23, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

Does anyone think that the Germans could have pulled off a successful invasion of Malta and if so what effect would it have had on the war in North Africa?

Depends. If Malta had been invaded in the first half of 1941, the effect would have been dramatic, possibly even decisive...for a while. But I don't know if the Axis had the resources to pull it off that early, especially after the 7th. Flieger got so bled in Crete. It was possible to have substituted Malta for Crete, but nobody much was making a case for that in the Axis high commands, and Hitler was nervous about the possibility of British bombers being based on Crete.

In any event, it was already too late in 1942, IMO. Rommel might have been able to put up a stiffer fight that autumn, but what was he going to do once the Allies landed in Algeria? Once that happens, the Axis armies in NA are doomed. The only question is how soon.

Michael

Originally posted by Panzerman:

Other than removing an important Allied navel base it wouldn't have too much of an effect. Its hard to say what would have happened since it didn't. :D I wouldn't have been surpised if it made it easier to transport supplies to the AK though.

Removal of Malta with its air and naval assets poised so close to the shipping lanes to NA would make it very much harder for the Brits to attack that shipping. Even intensive bombing of Malta greatly eased the Axis supply position in NA. Eliminating it altogether would have been even better and in the long run cheaper.

That said, I still don't think that wins the war for the Axis, not even the war in North Africa.

Michael

Avalon Hill's Air Assault on Crete comes with a mapboard and OB for a "what if" Malta invasion by the Axis in 1942.

You can get this on e-bay, but I have a copy and can give you the OB they use:

Germans: 2 regiments of the 7th FJ div with some supporting elements (airdrop)

Italians: Folgore div (airdrop)

XXX Corps comprising 4 Inf divisions with support, plus a few armor companies and 6 commando battalions.

British: 4 infantry brigades, a few troops of armor, a lot of AA, some arty, and a ot of coast defense arty.

According to the notes, it seemed like invasion was always a second priority to other matters, such as Rommel's drive on Egypt. And a number of technical issues came into play, such as availability of landing craft.

The old SSG "Rommel" game has a specilative OOB for Malta -

2 regiments each of the 7th & Folgore airdroped, and another 8 regiments of Italian infantry seaborne

British 4 Infantry Brigades (3 have 2 bns, 1 has 3), Malta militia & HQ units amounting to another 4 brigades of relatively Green troops, and 2 large brigades of static garrison troops.

Armour is provided by 2 small units from 7 RTR and 3rd Hussars but I don't know how large the units are supposed to be.

Originally posted by Midnight Warrior:

As we are waiting for CMAK, I was thinking that it might be neat if some good hypothetical scenarios were developed for the Malta Invasion that the Germans almost launched.

The Italian Comando Supremo had prepared detailed plans for the Malta invasion since the very beginning of the war. I think that if it had depended on Italians, the invasion would have taken place. Even the German Ober Kommando seemed to agree with the Italian view but the problem was Rommel who did not think the invasion would be a good strategical move and unfortunately he managed to convince Hitler.

This is one of the main critiques that some make about Rommel.