Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Question on French Terrain, the Andelle River

Hans

Hello Hans,

I tried to find some more informations via Google about the Andelle, as this charming river passes along a region I know well.

Unfortunatelly, I only found that th river is 54 km long, starts at Serqueux, near the town of Forges-les-Eaux and finishes its way in the Seine river near the village of Pitres. This river is well know in the Eure department as a very good place for fishing smile.gif

abbaye7.jpg

I also found an aerial view of the village of Periers-sur-Andelle, where the river passes by :

11-33PerriersAndelle33200.jpg

As you can see, this river is quite narrow and quiet, but the region may be the place of overflows during the winter and early spring.

By the way, if you need it, I can provide you some 1:25000 scale map of the sector, or a more general map.

I've spent months in France, twice since CMBO came out and I spent years in Belgium and Germany so I have a fairly good idea what European terrain looks like. That village picture is good for details for one 1940 I've got in mind....

Thanks Bogdan, my guess of a 1 hex river was correct I guess, 1:25000 (DROOL) yes that would be great. Tell me know we do that. Do you have a map of Isneauville? Its just north of Rouen. A very nice little British vs German action there in June 1940, but unfortunately no map - but I do have a good description...

Originally posted by Hans:

Thanks Bogdan, my guess of a 1 hex river was correct I guess, 1:25000 (DROOL) yes that would be great. Tell me know we do that. Do you have a map of Isneauville? Its just north of Rouen. A very nice little British vs German action there in June 1940, but unfortunately no map - but I do have a good description...

You're welcome smile.gif

I see where is Isneauville, just a few kilometers north of Rouen. Do you need a 1:25000 scale map of this place ? I think it has changed a lot since 1940, with many commercial and industrials areas... I'll check my map collection.

About the Andelle river : I'll also check the maps, but please tell me the exact sector you need, and I'll do a scan for you.

Towns mentioned in text are:

Sigy to Nolleval, Normanville, St Lucien

Near the area, Pierreval-Estouteville-Critot

Yes a 1:25,000 of Isneauville would be great! Even with industrialization I can get an idea of the "lay of the land"

Thanks again for you help

Hi,

I found some more pictures of villages or the Rouen area.

Here is Isneauville, north of Rouen. As you can observe, the village must have changed a lot since the 40's, the "old" historicall center of the village is, I guess, almost in the middle of this picture. But the rest of the town is post-50's, with all these box-shaped houses which grown like mushrooms, all around the center !

Isneauville03.jpg

About the Andelle river, I also found a picture of Normanville (as Hans mentionned this place). I didn't found another place of his list, unfortunatelly. By the way, Normanville looks like a "road-village", without any kind of center (often localised with the church, the city house or the school)... ...just a big road passing by the village, like a scare on a face :(

However, you can see a little portion of the Andelle river on the bottom left corner of the picture. Its size looks almost comparable with Periers-sur-Andelle.

normanville98.jpg

Here too, the village must have greatly changed since the war, with all the houses built during the last decades, easely spottable for an experienced eye ;)

The land is, like most the entire area of Rouen, almost completelly flat.

I'll check the map tomorrow...

[ October 04, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Bogdan ]

Originally posted by Hans:

Towns mentioned in text are:

Sigy to Nolleval, Normanville, St Lucien

Near the area, Pierreval-Estouteville-Critot

Yes a 1:25,000 of Isneauville would be great! Even with industrialization I can get an idea of the "lay of the land"

Thanks again for you help

Ok, some good and bad news about the maps :

I haven't the Rouen area in my map collection :( I would have to buy one or two maps, as (it's the same thing each time...) Isneauville and Pierreval's sector are on two separated maps, but the places are a few kilometers distants from each other ! :mad:

Fortunatelly, I've almost the entire region of the Andelle river, from Forges-les-Eaux to the Seine, passing by Sigy, Nolleval, Normanville. Saint-Lucien is on the map too, as it is a few kilometers west from Normanville. My map dated a bit and this last village looks different between the picture I sent here and the map ! It's a lot more urbanised now. It may help you to figure out the size and the "shape" of rural french villages of this area. Also, looking at these maps, it is still amazing to see that entire regions haven't changed since times.

I'll scan some documents today Hans, I keep you informed smile.gif

[ October 07, 2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Bogdan ]