Johannes Kümmel

Wonder if this is him. From "The Tiger Tanks" by Peter Gudgin.

" 501 Heavy Tank Battalion, with the Field Post Number 25032, had received its first two Tiger 1s on 30 August 1942, at which time it was also designated to be the first of the two battalions promised to Rommel in North Africa. It started its training for service in North Africa at the beginning of October, under the guidance of a Major Kummel, an Afrika Korps tank officer experienced in desert warfare."

Unfortunately, that's all there is on him.

PANZER ACES 2

Covers the life and times of six leading German tankers: Sepp Brandner (Sturmgeschutz-Brigade 912); Fritz Febmann (Panzer Aufklarungs-Abteilung 7); Kurk Knispel (schwee Panzer-Abteilung 503); Johannes Kummel (Panzer-Regiment 8 of the Deutsches Afrika Korps): Karl Nikolussi-Leck (SS-Panzer-Regiment 5 ÒwikingÓ); and, Hermann von Oppein-Bronikowski (Panzer Regiment 35; Panzer-Regiment 204; Panzer-Regiment 11; 20 Panzer-Division). Each capsule biography runs at least 50 pages and contains numerous photos.

Author:

Franz Kurowski

Format:

582pp, 100+ period photos and maps, hb.

Category:

Third Reich World War Two

ISBN:

0 921991 49 5

Price:

£42.50

Originally posted by Airborne:

Wonder if this is him. From "The Tiger Tanks" by Peter Gudgin.

" 501 Heavy Tank Battalion, with the Field Post Number 25032, had received its first two Tiger 1s on 30 August 1942, at which time it was also designated to be the first of the two battalions promised to Rommel in North Africa. It started its training for service in North Africa at the beginning of October, under the guidance of a Major Kummel, an Afrika Korps tank officer experienced in desert warfare."

Unfortunately, that's all there is on him.

Yes thats him.

He was one of the six leading German tankers:

Sepp Brandner (Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 912);

Fritz Feßmann (Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 7);

Kurt Knispel (schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503);

Johannes Kümmel (Panzer-Regiment 8 of DAK) );

Karl Nikolussi-Leck (SS-Panzer-Regiment 5 “Wiking”);

Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski (Panzer-Regiment 35; Panzer-Regiment 204; Panzer-Regiment 11; 20. Panzer-Division).

John

Originally posted by John Osborne:

He was one of the six leading German tankers:

Sepp Brandner (Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 912);

Fritz Feßmann (Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 7);

Kurt Knispel (schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503);

Johannes Kümmel (Panzer-Regiment 8 of DAK) );

Karl Nikolussi-Leck (SS-Panzer-Regiment 5 “Wiking”);

Hermann von Oppeln-Bronikowski (Panzer-Regiment 35; Panzer-Regiment 204; Panzer-Regiment 11; 20. Panzer-Division).

One of the six leading tankers according to who? What source are you using?

I may need to get my hands on it if I don't already have it.

I like Wiking and I never heard of Mr. Leck being one of the six Great German Tankers.

Panther Commander