Faster Settings

I have a 633MHz Celeron and an Nvidia GeForce MX 32MB and 128MB of RAM.

Although CM runs like a charm (loads fast, very small waiting times, etc) I get some screen delays when scrolling over a huge map, usually at the 4-key view. Now, I know that my video card is not the best and neither is my CPU, and I know how taxing 3D graphics can be on those two.

However, since I don't play many 3D games - especially 1st person shooters - I am not at all familiar with any graphic card tweaks that might help the game run smoother. I don't really care about the quality of graphics since they are not the issue in CM.

Anyone have any good ideas to suggest ?

Thanks in advance

Assuming that you really don't care about the texture appearance...

Are you using any graphic mods for CM ? If so, then dump them for the originals since most of the mods will be higher resolution textures. Terrain mods can suck quite a bit of speed from CM since they can eat up a lot of VRAM.

Turn off FSAA. The default for most drivers is to have the 'application select...' the FSAA setting, which few (if any) actually do, therefore it is usually off by default (that is the case with CM).

You can reduce the mipmap detail level. I'm not sure what the default is, but there are some higher performance options available with this setting (though it may not do a whole lot).

Running at a lower color depth might help. CM actually utilizes 16-bit color, even though many (including the original) textures may be 24-bit color.

You can optimize your settings or overclock your GPU or memory with a tweak utility. NVMax was one and there are several others. CM may limit the amount of overclocking you can perform on your video card since it may lock up easily when the card reaches a certain point while other games or 2D screens may run fine at that point and beyond. However I don't think that the GeForce2 MX will benefit very much from overclocking since the memory that is typically used with those cards really doesn't have a whole lot of performance 'headroom'.

GeForce Tweaker:

http://www.guru3d.com/geforcetweakutility/