Quick Battle Point Problems

haido

Now i play this game mostly via Internet since the only fun in this game can be found by gloating your victories over your beaten comrades smile.gif . I like to setup quickbattles and random maps but their seem to be serious issues with this. For example i like the point system that enables you to buy units and so on. But some Units are way to expensive or way to cheap which makes the game totally unbalanced. For example the 150 mm Inf. Cannon avaible for the germans at a cost around 55-75 pts. The 150 mm is slow and doesn't hit the spot so often but the morale effect it has on men is HORRIBLE.

Why has does this gun cost so little, ive researched a little and the 150 mm was a gun that was extremely rare, so how come this gun only cost 75 pts when it should be more around the sums like 250.

Can't we try do to something to balance points cost against eachother so we can have a more fun and equal Quick battle internet play.

Sure, well i still think the 150 mm guns are to cheap. Lets say you have aroudnd 200 pts left, what would you buy another company men or three 150 mm guns. I would take 150 guns since i know they kills around 20-30 men each if fielded properly whilst the men cant simply do so much harm.

Im not saying there is no way to take them out, just that they are way to effective and rare to be at that kind of price.

But when every single allied company sized unit comes with organic mortars, all guns are short for this world once they're spotted. The 150 is big enough that it's often spotted after one or two shots, and then if your opponent is patient, it's dead to rights.

Are they effective? Of course. Would I rather have a company of riflemen on the defense? Yep.

- b.

Not really. I find 75mm-105mm AVFs to be most effective against AT guns, because you can move them in a pack and most have more ammunition you can waste in area fire.

The point remains, however, bitching about one edge of the pricing system leads to more bitching in another edge.

A fairer pricing system would have to be dynamic and pretty complex.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by haido:

...the 150 mm was a gun that was extremely rare...

There were 6 of them in every infantry division. That means nearly a thousand distributed throughout the entire Heer during most of the war. Is that your definition of "extremely rare"? Just wondering.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by haido:

...the 150 mm was a gun that was extremely rare...

There were 6 of them in every infantry division. That means nearly a thousand distributed throughout the entire Heer during most of the war. Is that your definition of "extremely rare"? Just wondering.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by dugfromthearth:

I would think that 1,000 of some type of gun in WWII would qualify as extremely rare, yes.

Just to clarify, I was saying that there were 1,000 in the Heer at any one time. There were quite a bit more than that manufactured. For my part, I would classify them as somewhat rare. They were all over the place even if not in huge numbers, so the likelihoood of finding one on a CM battlefield is not farfetched. In any event, I don't recall if I've ever run into one, though I've seen scads of the 75mm lIG.

Michael

Equipment that can in found in every vanilla infantry division is certainly not rare by any stretch of imagination.

If you have real problems with people buying too many of them in Quickbattles then make a house rule to limit them.

I kind of doubt it, every since the real cheap small guns were considered gamey.

I may have been wrong regarding the 150 mm gun, but i still feel that there is something wrong when you play quickbattle, I guess there will always be powergamers and so on. But I think it could be restircted somehow. Maybe by adjusting combined arms limits and so on.

No matter how you price things their will always be an optimum set of things to purchase. There is nothing BTS can do about that.

As for mortars, it's a good idea to keep some in reserve with good overwatch to take out any guns that appear. Guns are extremely vulnerable to HE fire.

Originally posted by haido:

I may have been wrong regarding the 150 mm gun, but i still feel that there is something wrong when you play quickbattle, I guess there will always be powergamers and so on. But I think it could be restircted somehow. Maybe by adjusting combined arms limits and so on.

There are good reasons for not making it too restrictive. Your best bet is to play against players who see things the way you do and won't cheat and cherry pick their forces, but stick pretty close to historical TO&Es. Or do like I do and play against the AI and pick both sides staying close to historical organizations.

Michael

Originally posted by haido:

There are good reasons for not making it too restrictive. Your best bet is to play against players who see things the way you do and won't cheat and cherry pick their forces, but stick pretty close to historical TO&Es. Or do like I do and play against the AI and pick both sides staying close to historical organizations.

Michael

Yeah, i guess your right.

By the way while where in the discussion about powergaming and so on. Im going to have a little tournament any you guys know some good Restriction and Rules that you can setup.

The tournament is going to Quick Battle, ME in Italy around 1000-1500 pts.