To Vomitmeister re 3D glasses

Question about the 3D glasses, Herr V.....

On March 29, 2004, you posted the following:

I'd been having problems with my machine taking a few minutes to boot. So, last week, I decided to blow my machine away and start fresh, hoping it would fix the long boot. No such luck. So, I spent part of this weekend finishing the reinstallation of some of my software. I looked at the drivers you mentioned and found them to be newer than what I had. So, I installed bothe the video and 3d drivers. Now, my machine is back to the 30 second boot time it should have been at. I didn't get much of a chance to try anything. I loaded Silent Storm for a minute. It looked pretty good, but I got summoned by my wife and couldn't mess around with it to see how it played with the 3d.

I was wondering what you found out as I really want to order these glasses ASAP, but am reluctantif their are going to be "graphics interface complications" and wierd things like the unit highlight box going left or right of the units, etc. DID YOU GET A CHANCE TO TRY OUT CM WITH THE UPDATED DRIVERS AND GLASSES RECENTLY? WHAT DID YOU FIND OUT IF SO? Greatly appreciate your input before I make this "investment".

Well, I tried CMBO with the newer drivers last night. The drivers have a hotkey feature that is supposed to allow you to turn the 3d on and off and also adjust other setting by hitting a hotkey combination. I wasn't able to get this to work at all in CMBO or Far Cry.

As for the graphics in CMBO, the problems are still there. Most notable are the boxes drawn around a unit when you click on it. Instead of a single box drawn around the unit, you will see two boxes, one to either side of the selected unit. When the hotkey toggle was working, I would turn off the 3d during the planning phase and turn them back on during the movie phase. They worked pretty good as long as you didn't need to select a specific unit.

I don't have either of the two later games and don't have their demos installed, so I wasn't able to try them. The drivers contain a list of games and a rating of how compatible they are with any problems they have found. CMBO had very good ratings with two negative comments involving the drawing of lines.

If you really want to try them, make sure there is a return policy that allows you to return them if they don't live up to your expectations. I bought mine at a computer fair and got them on impulse. Now, I find I hardly ever use them. Maybe I would use them more if I had a newer monitor that had a much higher refresh rate. My monitor peaks out in the 70 mhz range which causes a lot of irritating flickering while playing with the glasses. Newer monitors probably look much better.

By the way, I noticed last night that there are newer drivers out there again. I downloaded them but didn't get around to installing them. I would really doubt that they fix any of these issues, though. The problems seem to stem from the way the games layer the 3d graphics.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.