NeoMagic video card flickering/clipping problems.

A friend of mine is trying to get the demo working on his Sony VAIO PCG-F580 laptop with a NeoMagic MagicMediaT 256XL+ with 6.0 MB SGRAM, AGP, 3D, etc. I've given him a bunch of suggestions already to no avail.

I've searched the forums and seen that a lot of others also had problems with NeoMagic cards.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the graphic problems with these cards? This is how he describes the problem:

"The problem occurs once the scenario starts. The flickering is around the

terrain "quadrants" and is more pronounced from the closer camera angles.

From high up it just looks like some flickering pixels. Also, and this

might just be me, it seems like the flickering gets a little less noticeable

after a little while."

Thanks!

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Unfortunately NeoMagic doesn't offer a "Reference" driver download, so you're stuck with whatever your system manufacturer provides. Unfortunately these chipsets don't see very much in the way of driver updates.

What version of DirectX is your friend running ? I'm not sure what DirectX/OpenGL controls that NeoMagic provides, but you may want to adjust anything regarding "texel alignment" and/or "mipmapping". I have no idea if either of these settings would help with the "flashing", but I doubt it. More than likely the NeoMagic drivers would need to be updated to get rid of the flashing. You may want to try reducing the 2D video acceleration to see if this has any effect. Go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Performance tab > Graphics button > adjust the 'Hardware Acceleration' slider to the left. This may require a reboot after making this adjustment. More than likely this won't help with the texture flashing, but it is one more thing to try.

Thanks Schrull. I'll have him try your suggestions. If he gets it working, I'll post here.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he got it working. He had to go to 640x480 and turn Video Hardware Acceleration all the way down. Unfortunately, he's none to happy with the pixelated screen, and I can't say I blame him. Looks like he's gonna pass on CM unless he gets another computer. Oh well.

BeWary

------------------