My Fear Made Me Buy CMAK

Guest ExplodingMonkey

Duke,

I happen to like Hetzers and Jagdpanthers. I also like early T34s, Shermans, & Pz IIIs.

Not everyone is a Tiger whore. tongue.gif

We experienced CM players - we happy few, we band of brothers - We know the difference between a Tiger, a PzIII, and a T34. For the great mass of pimply-faced gamers out there Tiger and Sherman would be just about the only tanks they can name! If they saw a game box on the shelves with the word "Comet" or "M36" in the title they'd be scratching their heads.

About BFC inserting the Tiger up-front into CMx2 to maximize their profits, BFC never struck me as a company that would go for the fast buck. Just imagine the titles they could be working on if their sole goal was to attract the current crop of 14-22 year olds out there. Hey, that's the ticket - a CM version of Grand Teft Auto. You get to control your own urban street gang, battle over who controls the chop-shops and whores. "Lowest common denominator" marketing - I bet the 14-22 year olds would just eat that game up!

Tigers? Panthers? Shermans? All were present in the Mediterrean, and King Tigers failed to make an appearance. But ExplodingMonkey has a good point. While Panthers are the sexiest tanks, there is something about some of those ridiculously big-gunned Soviet tanks (IS-2, ISU-152, etc.) that makes me giggle every time I see on (or gasp and shift in my seat worriedly, because in CMBB I usually played German). But there is one thing, and one thing that can trump tanks. Monster artillery. Naval gun sized stuff. Now, here's what you do. Create a scenario. Give one side 10 of the biggest FOs they have available, and the other side like 4 battalions. Put a big wall of buildings or something between them so the FOs won't get hurt. You'll probably have to move around the battalions to make them fit, but put in as many men in as little space as you can. Play this game with no fog of war, playing as the FO side. Call in a pre-planned strike with everyone on the poor bastards. If you don't cackle maniacally, you have no soul. That is cooler than big tanks.

Also, when your infantry act like the biggest badasses of all time. That is cooler than big tanks as well. It's like "Oh, you brought your platoon of Panthers to the party, looking to dance. Too bad that my bazooka teams DESTROYED you!" Or when ever my engineer teams close assault a tank, I stand up and start trash-talking the computer, just because my engineers are the biggest pimps ever. And lastly, anything that makes fire. Regular infantry flamethrowers are really cool (and longer ranged in CMAK!) and always make me happy when they actually kill something. But flamethrowers on a tank? Look out! Tank flamethrowers are hands down the funnest thing to play with. Now, if they put a flamethrower on a King Tiger, I would be in heaven. Unstoppable, baby.

And MikeyD, I think that game would be pretty awesome. In fact, they should make a CMX2 module for it. CMGL: CM Gang Land. First you get "New York, New York" with, you guessed it, New York, and then "West Coast", so you can have LA gangs, and then CMGL: World Tour, with the Triads and Yakuza, and CMGL: Ole! with South American and Mexican drug dealers (which would also include the Miami tileset). I see potential. I see... greatness.

Wait a second. Why couldn't BFC give us the King Tiger in the first module? Is BFC just "not that kind of girl"? I mean, I can see holding back the Sturmtiger and the Maus, but I don't think that the KT has that status. Personally, I think one should unlock the Maus by beating some sort of mini-game; ideally one were you have to press the arrow keys in time as they scroll along the screen, ala DDR. OR, you unlock the Maus by beating a special scenario where you have to destroy it using 2 vanilla Shermans. In open terrain. From 2000 yards. I find that to be fair. OR, a little side-scrolling game where you take command of a Maus, and drive along, destroying Jabos, Ninjas, and aliens with laser guns. I would, of course, insist of Jazz Jackrabbit style graphics, physics, and gameplay, and Jedi Knight style internal monologuing and Full Motion Video cutscenes (Of course your character would talk to himself! Was there every any question about that?) Only if mini-games are included will I be happy with CMX2. (BTW, Normandy would also have Tigers, Panthers, and other cool stuff but not all the cool stuff if they wanted to hold something back)

"And MikeyD, I think that game would be pretty awesome."

I've got to admit, while i was typing it in jest i was sorta thinking to myself "this actually sounds fun, in an offensive disgusting kinda way."

BFC could start an entire urban guerilla genre designed to offend just about everybody:

-CM: PLO 1980

-CM: Hamas 1990

-CM: Baghdad insurgents 2005

-CM: IRA 1977

-CM: Red Brigade, Chili

-CM: Kosovo Liberation Army

-CM: Drug Cartel

-CM: Kurdish Liberation Army in Turkey

-CM: Red union organizers vs scabs, Detroit 1938

Did I neglect to offend anybody?

It's already been made, ExplodingMonkey. The game was called SimAnt, and it rocked my world about ten years ago. You would build up your army of worker and warrior ants and do battle and against the evil red ants, while facing such foes as the beetles, caterpillars, lawnmowers, and, worst of all, rain. You would set trails of pheremones to lead your worker ants to sources of food. You could even take control of a warrior ant and kick some serious red ant ass. Eventually you would colonize the rest of the yard and would move on to the house. You won the game when you forced the owners to sell the house because of your infestation. Running it back on my old Mac, before they even had PowerPC. Hah! Those were the days... when your computer didn't have a cute little name but a confusing and unrecognizable string of numbers. Some things should never change. Hey, was I the only one who actually thought the beige computers looked good?