Scared Germans?

Is it just me or do German Regular squads rout easier than russian conscripts?

I was playing a QB desert scenario as the Germans on the attack, and each of my 4 platoons seemed like they had never seen a firearm before. All were regular with a few veterans sprinkled in, so I was disgusted. Most squads routed after 1 or 2 casualties, few remained to fight until the fourth man went down.

In one case one tank shell from a Sherman that caused no casualties managed to rout two nearby squads and panic another, each of regular quality and "ready".

That's insane!

I think my 12 year old son could hold up better under fire than these pathetic regulars.... I will test this further, but I hope this was just a quirky battle!

We need more info:

In what terrain were the squads?

Were they moving and with what ccmmand, move,advance etc. ?

Were they under command of HQ and had the HQ any morale bonus?

I did a QB with British yesterday (Allied probe), they advanced under cover of 2 heavy guns and all was fine until they moved over a ridge and were ambushed by the Germans.

(Edit: it was a QB vs the A.I. and i was surprised the AI did set up a very good ambush position !!! )

My Valentine tanks(i think) had no HE shells but the mg's did a good job, lost some tanks to a very nasty 20 mm heavy anti tank rifle though.

Key word is combined arms, without any (heavy) support weapons your infantery is toast quickly when they are moving and the enemy are not.

I noticed in CMAK the enemy country marker of units who are hiding are disappearing quickly, but that does not mean they are not there.

Keep area firing on suspecting spots!

Also, you cant see in CMAK on which units they enemy units are firing, only by following tracers you can try to find out.

Monty

[ December 08, 2003, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Monty ]

The infantry do seem rather fragile at times, but as Monty points out, it really depends a lot on the terrain.

I've noticed that (and this was true for CM:BB as well) that if infantry gets hit by almost anything while they're "moving" (not advancing) through open terrain, they'll run like little girls with pig-tails flying. I had a devil of a time motivating a squad which had taken zero casualties from a HMG firing at them from over 500m away once... they had been hit while moving in the open on a move command. They remained broken for almost 3 turns. Out of command and in the open = scared.

If you issue "advance" orders while in some manner of light cover (rough or wheatfield or whatever) and in command, they'll continue to move forward even under fire. I saw this distinctly in CM:AK "Fruhlingswind" when I tried cresting the central forward berm on open ground with some of my units and in rough with others. The units in the open broke like crazy when fired on,, the others went to ground and stopped or advanced when they could.

Double morale (heart) leaders also help a lot. I'm sure you gents knew all this already - my comments are more for newer players.

Well, im a Combat Mission vet, so this surprised me.

The squads were advancing through brush and were in command. Apparently brush is not as effective as it used to be, but I have had regular German squads fare better on ice....

I suppose this could be an isolated incident, caused by something I was unaware of. If it happens again I will be forced to swear allegiance to the commonwealth though...