"Meeting the Fox" by Orr Kelly

Anybody read this book yet? If so, how was it compared to other titles on North Africa?

Funny Bit 1: I went to Amazon.com in anticipation of my annual Christmas gift certificate from my in-laws and found this review of the book by a buyer...

"I think it was OK but not what I expected. I was getting this book I THOUGHt was for childern. About "Meeting Footloose Fox" on VHS (Disney) is what the grandkids wanted, so I was disappointed first BUT Even though I never expected it I found it a complling read and a histrical masterpiece. So I say A+ and that I never gave before this time. I am Harold McInnes bye."

Funny Bit 2: Four out of eight people found this review helpful!

I read it too, but when I ordered it from Amazon I thought it was a video about picking up hot chicks on South Beach. I was kind of disappointed when the "wrong" item arrived, but it was a pretty good read.

Actually, it was the first book I had ever read on the subject. I have since read The Battle for North Africa, 1940-43 by W.G.F. Jackson, which covers a broader period of time and puts Kelly's book in perspective, but Meeting the Fox gives a lot more detail about the US involvement from the planning stages of Torch to the German surrender. I think the description of the North African terrain and how it was used by both sides helped me prepare for CMAK, which is a theater with which I was relatively unfamiliar.