Question on LOB

How does one accurately depict the commonwealth practice of LOB in CM? For instance, take a full strength CW infantry battalion 1940 model assigned to an attack. Would it have all 4 rifle companies on the line, but each platoon set at 80% strength? Or all platoons at full strength, but one platoon per company removed? Or only 3 full strength companies on the line?

Originally posted by Kingfish:

How does one accurately depict the commonwealth practice of LOB in CM? For instance, take a full strength CW infantry battalion 1940 model assigned to an attack. Would it have all 4 rifle companies on the line, but each platoon set at 80% strength? Or all platoons at full strength, but one platoon per company removed? Or only 3 full strength companies on the line?

A flat-rate percentage across the whole organization would seem more reasonable to me. Re-squadding to reduce the number of rifle companies would I think typically only be done after suffering casualties (as shown, for example, in the war diaries of 1/5, 1/6 and 1/7 Queen's in Normandly, each of which at some point in the campaign went to an orbat with 3 rifle companies).

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

All companies would usually be present; rifle sections in the case of my regiment, according to battle questionnaires filled out by platoon and company commanders, usually had 5 men or so, that's almost 50 percent.

http://members.shaw.ca/calgaryhighlanders/18pn.htm

Here's one example - 18 Platoon of the Calgary Highlanders on 17 Aug 1944. 22 men on strength, all ranks, sections led by Lance Jacks, and a Lance Corporal taking over as platoon sergeant. 5 men per rifle section - before LOBs!

roll.jpg

[ March 15, 2004, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Incidentally, by late war (say, mid-late 44 onwards) in Italy the British weren't recieving enough reinforcements to sustain their infantry battalions. As a result, they went to a three company org permanently.

AFAIK this did not affect the other CW nations. I know it didn't affect the Kiwis. I doubt it affected the Canadians or the South Africans. It may have affected the British battalions in Indian Army divisions, but probably not the Indian battalions.

Regards

JonS