A minor Quibble Regarding Artillery Pricing and Organization

Focus, gentlemen. . . :D

Actually, while JonS and JasonC's debate is a bit off-topic (as interesting as it is!) it does raise at least one important relevant point as regards to the American 105mm Caliber, which is that is was present in most TOEs at both the Regimental and the Divisional level. IIRC, the guns were different, but the actual shell was the same. If BFC feels the need to 'justify' the existence of two different 105mm spotters in the game, they could easily model one spotter as regimental level, with faster response, but perhaps a lower ammo load, and the other spotter as divisional level with a slower response and a larger ammo load. Number of tubes would also presumably be different. Personally, I don't think BFC needs such a TOE justification to offer two 105mm spotters, but if they really feel like they need it, there it is.

Curiously, BFC chose to do exactly this with the 150mm caliber for the Germans. In most time/theatre settings, you can get either a Regimental level 150mm spotter with 2 tubes and 25 ammo, or a Divisional level 150mm spotter with 4 tubes and 35 ammo. I do find it a bit odd that the German TOEs are modeled to this degree of detail, and the American TOEs are not. Whatever the reason, the end result is less flexibility in QB arty choices for the Americans relative to the Germans.

If you want a real laugh, take a look at the rarity and pricing of 105mm VT in 1945. 0% rarity, but a whopping 511 points for a single Regular spotter! What's the point of giving 105mm VT 0% rarity if you're going to give the spotter so many shells that he's downright unaffordable in all but the largest QBs? If you drop the experience level down to green (480pts.), you can *barely* afford the VT spotter in a 2000pt. Combined Arms battle, but not for MEs - you won't see 105mm VT MEs unless you play at the 3000pt. level or above!

Honestly, how many people regularly play 3000+ pt. QBs?

Cheers,

YD

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by REVS:

What we're talking about here in QBs is the simple fact of gaming (ie, what a big percentage of buyers of Combat Mission are actually on about, no matter how much they profess to be grog-ettes)

We non-grog QB players don't really give a rat's hooter about historical realities on some silly bloody official distribution table of actual allocations of artillery pieces. We're creating a completely artificial thing called a Quick Battle, and it's a Meeting Engagement most likely, a very non-historical little scenario.

I agree, REV. Although I enjoy the realistic touch of this game at times, sometimes I want something that is unrealistic in terms of historical accuracy, but fair in terms of gameplay. That's what the QB is for, fair gameplay via use of points system. Like I said before, if you wanna play historical, play the scenarions. The point is, due to pricing atm, the QB system is NOT fair.