Rifle Grenades

Ant

No I don't think they're the best AT weapon either they were developed as an anti-personnel weapon, but for some reason I always got the impression that CM utilised them as an AT weapon as I've seen them being fired at tanks. Mind you I haven't seen much of them as they weren't a particulary prevalent weapon in CMBB and I didn't play CMBO that much before I switched but now with CMAK they should be more common.

In Band of Brothers i have seen them used to knock out enemy positions in houses(machineguns )
To be honest that what I was thinking about too but I daren't mention a TV programme or a movie as a point of referance on this board cos all the grogs would go into a feeding frenzy ;)

I just feel that they are potentially very usefull weapons that we maybe aren't getting the best out of in CM.

There are a few weapon systems I'd personally like to see implemented before rifle grenades are modelled differently.

WP, for instance.

Anyway, rifle grenades are, I assume, modelled like any other inf AT weapon and will be used on infantry targets if the TacAI feels like it, especially if the squad has lots and the enemy is in good cover.

IIRC the rifle grenades depicted are shaped charge ones and are quite effective vs. enemy armour. In CMBO they could penetrate the side of a Panther.

IIRC the rifle grenades depicted are shaped charge ones and are quite effective vs. enemy armour. In CMBO they could penetrate the side of a Panther.
Yes, I've seen that. I was just wondering if the Rifle grenades depicted in CM were purely of the AT variety or can they be used in the anti-personnel role similarly to the way a squad will sometimes use a Panzerfaust against infantry.

Post-war rifle genades (like the Beligian Mecar 'bullet trap' types) are much more useful than the old wartime rifle grenade. One big problem was the round had to be fired with a blank cartridge so you had to first unload your gun, find a blank round, chamber it, fit the rifle grenade... If you were to accidentally fire a grenade with a live round in the chamber that would really ruin your day. That's why the U.S. hastily abandoned the rifle grenade concept in favor of the grenade launcher.

I don't recall ever seeing the rifle grenade count go down for a squad while it was battling other infantry in CMBB. I can't say I've played enough CMAK to take note of that particular question.

[ November 24, 2003, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]