Palm trees as cover in CMAK

Thought I was hallucinating while playing Tiger Valley, but checking elsewhere shows I wasn't imagining it. Palm trees, despite their nudity to many times man height, provide very good protection vs. incoming fire and are hard to see through. Nor do treebursts seem to bother much the Germans I'm fighting. Is it my imagination, or are treebursts toned down, relative to deciduous and conifer, when firing into palm trees? I know palm trees are tough, as in their use for fortification on Sullivan's Island during the American Revolutionary War and widespread use in the Pacific by the Japanese for practically battleship proof bunkers.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ June 12, 2007, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

KR,

I'm starting to think that maybe you're right, but it's just that under EFOW, the damage I'm doing isn't obvious. I say this because my counterattack has so far found no live Germans at the spotted markers overrun by my assault. Maybe the pounding actually did something, whereas the guy with the ? in one palm patch is simply fanatical and laughs at what I dish out, though I note he finally seems to have been suppressed.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ June 13, 2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

JK

Purely anecdotal, for what it is worth.

The fiercest INF on INF enagement in PBEM I ever had was in Palms. I even had a vet Stuart using all 3 mg's from 80 meters hosing a DAK squad and they would barely flinch. I also had a Brit Squad 15 meters away exchanging grenades and hard looks and a bren 50 meters providing area fire from the the left flank; all for about 3 minutes. Neither side really was taking casualties until his guys finally died all at once (my guess is that the volume of fire finally broke his unit and as soon as he started to run he was cut down, but it happened so fast it just looked like he went from full strength to dead instantly). At least the result was logical considering the odds but it seemed a little too hard to kill him. Probably just one of those things. :confused: