So, Where's the Fake Camel Dung?

Firefly

As I type this, I'm listening to a radio chat show where an author is talking about his book on the activities of mad boffins in WW2. It appears that German tankers in N. Africa, believed that driving through piles of camel dung was lucky and the British started producing fake, booby trapped, camel dung in response. Naturally this resulted in the Germans being more circumspect with regard to camel droppings, so the British went one better - fake, booby-tapped camel dung with tire tracks through it!

I can't find any of this stuff in the CMAK purchase screen. BFC fix or sumfink!

[ January 14, 2004, 04:37 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Not so mad real tricks which could be included.

The British employed a Magician to do camoflage for them - he did dummy tanks and guns which were put out in the desert and the Germans put real troops to oppose them!

He also camoflaged tanks as trucks as the Germans were ambushing British supply columns - that one came as a nasty surprise. (This could be part of the engine - British tanks look like those grey trucks until they open fire! :cool: )

You people may then be interested in "Crafty Tricks of War" which is on Tuesday evenings on BBC2.

A retired Colonel(?) and helper make all sorts of gadgets from the SOE archives.

The exploding camel dung was on yesterday. To give an idea of what the programme is like, the actually made a cast of camel dung, fitted it with a smal pyrotechnic and drove a radio controled tank over it to set it off. :D

Originally posted by Firefly:

As I type this, I'm listening to a radio chat show where an author is talking about his book on the activities of mad boffins in WW2. It appears that German tankers in N. Africa, believed that driving through piles of camel dung was lucky and the British started producing fake, booby trapped, camel dung in response. Naturally this resulted in the Germans being more circumspect with regard to camel droppings, so the British went one better - fake, booby-tapped camel dung with tire tracks through it!

I can't find any of this stuff in the CMAK purchase screen. BFC fix or sumfink!

hehe, i just read about this in " n army at dawn", but i think the author claimed that the explosive turds were an amercan invention.