Delayed Firing Times

Macphail

during the first turn of a QB (1940, italian, infantry desert attack) i just noticed that i can add time to the firing plan for some arty spotters. they are on a splendid hilltop, with the battalion commander, and have a beautiful view of the enemy positions. my question here, is that i have never noticed this before. is this new with the recent patch? or am i just not very observant? this is the first game ive had with italian units...is this perhaps some unique ability that the itlians have developed? the ability to tell the guns to wait for a few minutes, then start firing? HMMM.

yeah press q to add a minutes delay to the fire plan. Its a nice option as it allows you to use large calibre artillery without the 3 day delay on the fire!

Its especially usefull if you have big calibre, low experience spotters. Just make sure you drop it somewhere that is going to be usefull. I find conscript level 170mm FOs particularly good - they are cheap have a massive blast and have about 3 turns of ammo. No point using something that will fire for 10min - your going to kill everything thats there more quickly then just waste the rest as you cant stop it. Of course you can only do this a couple of times to human opposition or they start to get smart and out their troops somewhere less obvious until after the fire mission has gone through!

Originally posted by Macphail:

during the first turn of a QB (1940, italian, infantry desert attack) i just noticed that i can add time to the firing plan for some arty spotters. they are on a splendid hilltop, with the battalion commander, and have a beautiful view of the enemy positions. my question here, is that i have never noticed this before. is this new with the recent patch? or am i just not very observant? this is the first game ive had with italian units...is this perhaps some unique ability that the itlians have developed? the ability to tell the guns to wait for a few minutes, then start firing? HMMM.

you do know the difference between "firing plan" and "arty strike"? a firing plan is pre-planned and can't be changed, but you can do it out of LOS & it will always hit the target. an arty strike must (for an accuracy) be in LOS & will incur the delay of the guns being brought to bear.

ok, this is all making sense now. this was not a meeting engagement, it was an axis probe. i guess i know the difference now. anyway, in the end, my 105mm, 100mm, 2x81mm, and 75mm spotters, dropped all their ammo on that hilltop, and failed to eliminate the concrete pillbox. i trusted such a healthy barrage would have taken it out, but when the dust cleared, it was still there. by the third or fourth turn, the MG in the pillbox was mowing down my italian infantry in droves, and i was forced to concede. next time i will bring an AT gun.

Originally posted by Macphail:

ok, this is all making sense now. this was not a meeting engagement, it was an axis probe. i guess i know the difference now. anyway, in the end, my 105mm, 100mm, 2x81mm, and 75mm spotters, dropped all their ammo on that hilltop, and failed to eliminate the concrete pillbox. i trusted such a healthy barrage would have taken it out, but when the dust cleared, it was still there. by the third or fourth turn, the MG in the pillbox was mowing down my italian infantry in droves, and i was forced to concede. next time i will bring an AT gun.

Concret pill boxes are virtually immune to HE. Next time, bring along some kind of 20mm autocannon. You are much more likely to put one through the firing slit.

Alternatively, you can keep dumping smoke on it until you can work a squad around to its rear and close assault.

Michael

A pre-planned bombardment is a thing of beauty if you guess right (where to put it) and time it right (1 turn before your infantry get in range).

Careful use of the 'Q' key (when planning the bombardment) and a good awareness of how long it takes for troops to close the distance are key.

Plus, obviously, knowing (guessing) where your opponent has concentrated his forces helps a lot...