British armour history grogs

Hans

Originally posted by Kozure:

Almost as interesting in this same article is the mention of a paratroop landing to capture airfields in Singapore (Palembang?).

The Japanese had paratroopers?

Learn something new every day!

Yes they did they conducted a number of small operations.

The scenarios Small Battles, IJA Airborne P1 PTO

and Small Battles, Blood for Oil, PTO deal with the Japanese paradrops at Palembang

Originally posted by Kozure:

Almost as interesting in this same article is the mention of a paratroop landing to capture airfields in Singapore (Palembang?).

Ahem. Palembang is on the island of Sumatra in the Indonesian archipelago. While I suppose you could say it is vaguely in the same neighborhood with Singapore, it should not be confused with the latter.

And yes, the use of Japanese paratroops there is well known. At least, I've known it since I was ten years old or so...and as many people hereabouts will be only too happy to tell you, that was a very long time ago indeed.

Michael

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

And yes, the use of Japanese paratroops there is well known. At least, I've known it since I was ten years old or so...

Michael

Well, that was only a couple of years after the battle was fought, wasn't it, Michael? </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

ISTR the Japanese also employed a few tanks in Malaya. Whether they met any British tanks there is iffy though.

Michael

Just went thru that research angle, a number of Nipponese tanks in Malaysia but no Brits, some armoured cars thou.

Correction some MG armed tanks but gun armed that I'm aware of.

Here is an interesting unit

http://www.geocities.com/dutcheastindies/indian_tank.html

In DEI the Japanese used captured American M-3 Stuarts!

[ November 11, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Hans ]

Both Dutch and Japanese sources ID them as captured M-3s, they even managed to ID them as tanks that were lost and improperly destroyed by the Americans during the retreat to Bataan. I'll probably use a Pz III to represent them in the planned scenarios, they should stick out from the 'normal' Italian tanks we use!