I loathe Windows XP, HELP!!

Hi there, I recently changed operating systems to XP from '98 and since that momentous occasion have been unable to even load the game up. It installs without a problem but as soon as I try to load it up my screen goes black and the computer whistles disturbingly. I'm running XP as I've said, I have an AMD Duron 650Mhz processor, a Radeon DDR 32MB graphics card (with a beta test driver recommended by someone on this esteemed board) and a sound card built in to my motherboard (SiS 7018) any suggestions?

Phil

So you never get a resolution selection screen or is your problem occuring when you attempt to go into the main 3D portion of the game ?

I'm not sure what your 'distrubing whistle' is, unless your system has an overtemperature alarm that's sounding off. If that's the case, then you have some hardware problems with your system (but there can be several causes of your 'whistle').

What info do you get when you run the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG) ? Does it report that everything is OK (ignore the 'not digitally signed' warning about the drivers, that's common for most of the drivers out there) ? Are all of the settings enabled (DirectDraw, Direct3D & AGP Texture) ? If you run the tests do they pass ?

Unfortunately, in-place upgrades of OS's are often problematic since many DLLs, drivers or registry enteries are kept, which junk up the system and may cause problems. Depending on how desparate you are you may want to do a complete, clean (formatted hard drive) install of XP. If you have a spare drive it may be worth it to install that temporarily and install XP to it.

I did upgrade on a freshly formatted drive so there should have been no problem there, however, I should point out that I tried running two hard drives with two OS's XP and '98 the problem was that with a dual boot system the '98 drive was very slow. I tried to format the drive but the computer would only allow an ntfs format when both systems were on fat32 so what I did was, I deleted everything on the '98 drive and use it to store my game folders and it's on this drive that I tried to install CMBO with the problems listed below. When I double-click on the icon my screen goes black and my computer whistles. I therefore tried to install it straight onto my XP drive with the same results. I tested DirectX as you suggested and everything appears to be fine, any ideas?

Phil