Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How to change Game Graphic?

Mark82101

Go to cmmods.com or to combatmission.com. Find some visual images that you like better and download them. Unzip them into a safe place. Take a look at the bmp's of the new image that you are proposing to use and make a list. Make a folder, and put a set of copies of the original bmp's that you are about to replace in that folder. Then take the bmp's from the new visuals that you downloaded and copy them into the game's cmak bmp folder. Like swallowing to it is easier to do than to describe.

The visuals in the game are determined by the contents of the cmak/bmp folder. All you have to do to change the visuals is to change the contents of the cmak/bmp folder. Just make sure you make copies of what you're going to change first.

Here's a quick example of exactly how it works.

[i don't know how your computer is set up, so I'll describe how I would do it on mine. Also, I have to improvise a bit because I don't own CMAK, so make allowances for anything that appears different from reality].

Open My Computer and then open Programs. I'm guessing that you'll see a file called CMAK or something to that effect.

Don't do anything to it yet.

Make a new folder in My Programs and name it CMAK Downloads and Backups. You can name it anything you want -- I'm using these names on the assumption that the path for CMAK is C:\Program\CMAK. If it is, the new folder will always appear immediately next to the game folder when you look inside My Programs.

Inside the new folder (which we will call CMAK Downloads and Backups) make another folder new folder. Name this folder Barbed Wire.

Now open the new Barbed Wire folder and make two more new folder inside of it. Name one of them BTS original, and name the other Philippe Coiled Barbed Wire.

The next step is strictly optional, but I strongly advise that you do it in case you make a mistake later on. I make mistakes all the time, and have found this very useful, but if you're short on space you might want to skip this next step.

Go back in to the new folder CMAK downloads and back-ups and minimize it. Now go into the the CMAK game folder and copy the BMP folder (you don't even need to bother opening it). Go back into the CMAK downloads and back-up folder and paste in the copy. Change the name of the copy of the folder to BMP_original. You now have a back-up of the entire original bmp folder. Never, ever make changes to the contents of this folder, because if you make a mistake, this is where you will go to retrieve the original files. Just be advised that this folder is rather large, so the act of copying and pasting will take a while.

You now have a folder called CMAK Downloads and Back-ups with two folders in it. One is called BMP_original and the other is called Barbed Wire.

Now go online to CMHQ at combatmission.com. Once the page loads you will see a menu on the left-hand side of the page. One of the first items on that menu is called New Mods. Click on it. The first new mod that you see will be the Coiled Barbed Wire Entanglement. Download it to the folder C:\Programs\CMAK downloads and back-ups\Barbed Wire.

When you're done, you'll have a winzip file of the mod sitting in your Barbed Wire folder.

[i'm assuming that you have Winzip. If you don't, you can download a free trial copy online. I don't know the address, but it shouldn't be hard to find in Google. No one I know has ever had to pay for their free trial copy].

Go into the BMP_original folder, copy file 1211, and paste it into the Barbed Wire/BTS original folder. Now unzip the file you downloaded into the Philippe Coiled Barbed Wire folder. You never, ever want to unzip anything directly into your game bmp folder, because there are usually readme files and other things that you wouldn't want in there.

You are now set up to switch back and forth at will between the bts original barbed wire bmp and the Philippe Coiled Barbed Wire bmp. Just pick whichever file 1211 you want to use and copy it into the game's bmp folder.

You can use this method for much more elaborate mods, but this will give you a sense of how to get organized when you are first starting out.

Eventually you will get sick of doing it this way and start looking into programs. But to use them effectively it helps if you know how to do things things manually.

When you've gone through this exercise, register at CMMODS (cmmods.com). 95% of the new mods are located there at this point, along with all the scenarios from the now defunct Scenario Depot.