CMBO Fire & Maneuver Scenario now available for CMAK

GAAAaaah!

I couldn't remember playing this one in CMBO. So I downloaded it, opened it up and . . .

I felt the blood draining from my face. The seat of my pants suddenly felt warm and wet. I remember experiencing some difficulty breathing before things went black.

Oh, I remember this one . . . smile.gif

I'm none to eager to replay it in CMAK as it was a real killer in CMBO.

But I will try again soon. If only to seek revenge.

Thanks (I think), Bill!

Gpig

smile.gif

Ok. So far so good.

**SPOILER ALERT!**

I'm at turn 25 and I've only lost 1 panzer. (Well, 3, if you're counting immobilizations.) smile.gif

Thanks for posting this, Bill. Besides being a fun test of skills versus the A.I., it's helping me to hash out my CMBO demons. :D

So, I'm not sure if the game has gotten easier? Or if I've just gotten better? But this battle does seem to be less bedevilling than the CMBO version.

I think the difference may be that NOW-a-DAYS I'm wise to the binocular equipped spotter. This time through, having a man with "4-eyes" survey the landscape when the enemy opens up, is making all the difference.

Also, I had a slight advantage by having played the orginal version. Knowing where the minefield is helps. (But I still lost 1 panzer to mines!)

The enemy artillery is a REAL BASTICHE! Grrrr!

The P-51 did some damage but not too much.

By turn 25 I've taken out 3 AT guns on the far hills. Wiped out the infantry platoon at the RIGHT forground flag. And I'm routing the Infantry plt on the LEFT flag.

This was about as far as I ever got in the CMBO version (and certainly not in as good a shape), so now I'm going to push on and see if I can get the back 3 flags.

I'm sure there'll be some more surprises, right?

Comments:

I love the undulating terrain. Did you plot all the elevation changes? It's nice. Sneaky places to hide and maneuver just out of LOS.

The details ON the terrain seem a bit computer generated. Not that it's a big deal, but maybe some time could be spent on making the map looked "lived-on."

I like the OOB of the German side. All the tools you'll need, basically. But nothing too strong.

I'm enjoying this one WAY more than last time. It's a challenge. But like I said, I'm not sure it's tough enough anymore.

With the CMAK version, we have SHOOT & SCOOT, plus Covered Arcs to help out on the attack. Maybe the AT Defense needs to move into cover, as well as having long LOS/LOF. Right now they are easily spotted once they open fire. (That might make it TOO hard, but it's worth a try.)

Anyways, I'll let you know how it finishes up.

Thanks!

Gpig

P.S. this is a great scenario for people who love to charge enemy positions with fully loaded halftracks, MG's chattering all the way, and dumping the PnzrGndrs out 100m short of the supressed defenders. WOOT! (AFTER the ATguns have been silenced, of course.)

Gpig. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I found it a lot easier too, mainly because you spot the guns so quickly. In CMBO it took a long time to spot them, which to me seems a lot more realistic. Numerous anecdotes abound about armor wandering into an AT gun defense where the armor had no idea where the rounds were coming from.

I guess it doesn't help that the guns are pretty much in the open.. perhaps giving that hill some concealing terrain for the guns to set up in is the answer.

I was actually surprised that it was so much easier in CMAK.. I expected it to be tougher... on that score I am sorely disappointed and wonder what was changed.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Bil

P.S. Hey Mark!

Ok. Finished it. smile.gif

Phew! It wasn't as easy at the end as I'd thought it was going to be.

The american reinforcements really put a DENT in my armored force. :D

I still pulled out a MINOR VICTORY, by turn 41 (when they surrendered).

By the end, I'd lost 12 vehicles. But only 12 KIA .

That was FUN! Thanks Bill.

I'll update my review at the SD.

Gpig

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished playing (and emailed my results to Bil). Too embarassing to post them for the general public. smile.gif

So, are you saying that gun spotting got easier in CMBB/CMAK versus CMBO. I thought EFOW made spotting harder than CMBO?

For the left and right ATGs at the start, I only had sound contacts to them, but I dispensed them with off map arty. The center ATG I ID'ed and took it out with an on map mortar.

But the P51D and the M10s really messed me up.