Can't update Nvidia drivers on WinME

I right-click on the desktop, click the "Settings" tab, "Advanced" button, "Adapter" tab, "Change" button, specify the driver, "Have disk" button, browse to the location where I extracted the driver files, "OK", displays my adapter (Geforce 2 GTS/Pro), select it, click "OK" and nothing happens. Windows just sits there at the "Update Driver" wizard. :confused:

I did go back to the standard VGA adapter first. Going from 6.31 to 14.40 (just for the hell of it) and it won't work. I have also had this problem with other versions. I am running 6.31 because I have that driver in an install program and that is the only way I could get a driver to install successfully. :mad:

System specs:

Alienware AMD 1.4Ghz (ASUS mobo, DDR)

Leadtek Geforce2 GTS 64MB

Windows ME

Anyone ever experience something like this or have any ideas? I don't have a clue what's going on with this. :confused:

I don't know why it wouldn't work going from 6.31 to 14.40. Have you tried going from the Standard SVGA to 14.40 directly ?

You can also do something similar from the Device Manager > Display item > listed display adapter > Properties > Driver tab > Update driver button. However it may hang like before.

Unfortunately there is no executable installer for this beta driver yet (there is for the 12.41 driver, but that doesn't have the fixes that 14.40 has).

Finally got 14.40 to install by removing the drivers, running the Nvidia uninstall program, putting on goat leggings and dangling a chicken foot in front of the monitor :rolleyes:

However, I was disappointed with the result, at least on my machine. Everything is fine except for when you click on a unit. The text overlaps the scenario status display without clearing that and putting up the unit display. So, it's back to a previous version. Think I'll try 7.58 WHQL. They work pretty good for Win2K for me.

You're correct about the results. I've looked at it a bit further and I've duplicated the same problem under Win98SE on one computer (and others have seen problems with ME & XP too). I'm going to have to check it out again on the other computer that didn't have this problem. I've been unable to duplicate this particular problem under Win2K however (at this point).

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]