The Parallel Arty Strike - Designers Can Make It Happen

Playing a North/South scenario I'm getting hit with a devastating arty strike running parallel with the front line, rather than the usual parallel with the line OF ADVANCE. I've confirmed one way to make this happen at will. There are probably more. If one side is assigned the west and north edges as friendly, the other the east and south edges, and the battle arranged to run north/south, the arty strikes will be east/west. This means they will be PARALLEL to the general front line.

Early testing shows that simply changing one of these friendly edges to neutral puts things back like we're used to seeing. I'm looking now for other friendly-edge/battle-direction combinations that yield parallel arty strikes.

Beware the scenario with no neutral map edges! Especially if the battle runs north/south.

This discovery was made possible by the Kingfish scenario off the CD called, "All Is Fair". Great fight it is, BTW.

Treeburst155 out.

OK, here's the scoop. You will only see these devastating parallel strikes in battles where the action runs generally north/south, AND where there are no neutral map edges. It doesn't matter which side is assigned which edges, just that each side is assigned two edges.

So, if you find yourself advancing in a northerly direction, more or less in an east/west line, you might want to consider the possibility of getting hit by arty along some 140 meters of that line. Did the designer put in a neutral map edge? If not, look out! :D

Treeburst155 out.

That's odd. When I was fiddling about with this about a year ago, the only way I could get it to work was to have, say, the north edge assigned to one, side, the south side the the other, then set up the ground so that the advance was east-to-west (or vice versa). Ie, the sides behinds each army had to be neutral.

Of course, that gave me the fall of shot I wanted, but routed and paniced units tended to run off in funny (funnier?) directions.

Regards

JonS

It's all determined by friendly map edges. In CMBO, the arty ALWAYS fell east/west, so a north/south battle with the logical north/south friendly edges would give you the parallel strikes. BFC didn't like this, and made the arty pattern for CMBB dependent on friendly map edges. That forced designers to use illogical friendly edges to get the desired effect, thereby discouraging the practice.

What you describe may very well still be possible; but it's illogical, and causes problems as you've mentioned. What Kingfish has done in "All Is Fair" works like a charm, and there are no unwanted side effects. It may even work in CMBB. I haven't tried it.

Treeburst155 out.