NZ Night actions for 8th Army

First (about 18 months ago) there were five, then (over Christmas - New Years 2003/2004) about 20, now its 45. I don't know when the latest jump up occurred - I wasn't excpecting it till next southern-summer (varsity holidays = cheap labour). The plan was always to do all 50 of them. Of those 50, about 40 relate more-or-less directly to 2(NZ)Div. Thus, any battle that the Div was involved in is covered in quite emarkable detail, and from any number of angles.

BTW, the "Episodes and Studies" contain a number of small magazine-type pieces that cover particular facets, some of which would make for very good CMAK scen sources. I'm thinking of Guns Against Tanks inparticular, and also Takrouna (which I've already mined extensively).

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

First (about 18 months ago) there were five, then (over Christmas - New Years 2003/2004) about 20, now its 45. I don't know when the latest jump up occurred - I wasn't excpecting it till next southern-summer (varsity holidays = cheap labour). The plan was always to do all 50 of them. Of those 50, about 40 relate more-or-less directly to 2(NZ)Div. Thus, any battle that the Div was involved in is covered in quite emarkable detail, and from any number of angles.

BTW, the "Episodes and Studies" contain a number of small magazine-type pieces that cover particular facets, some of which would make for very good CMAK scen sources. I'm thinking of Guns Against Tanks inparticular, and also Takrouna (which I've already mined extensively).

Yes, thanks much for that link. I had actually seen that long ago, but presumably before the jump-up you refer to. Mining it now, if there are any night ones that jump out, let's hear it. ;)

Right through the summer of El Al there were heaps of night attacks. Actually, I think through all those months (June - December) the div never attacked (or even moved tactically) during the day.

Two examples: During July 1942 2(NZ)Div mounted two night bde-level attacks on or near Ruweisat Ridge. Both went reasonably well during the night advance. Both got trampled badly at dawn when the panzers turned up before friendly a-tk assets arrived.

Op CRUSADER (Nov-Jan 41/42) again has dozens of night attacks. The attacks along the Sidi Rezegh escarpments offer plenty of interesting situations.

Most of the major operations detailed in 'Bardia to Enfidaville' (incl Tebaga Gap) occurred at night.

I think they must have had a good source for carrots, or sumfink.

In general, if you don't have a particular battle in mind, take a browse through the maps in the campaign histories (Relief of Tobruk, Battle for Egypt, Alam Halfa and Alamein, Bardia to Enfidaville) looking for something that looks interesting or familar, then read the surrounding text, and refer to all the unit (inf bn, recce regt, arty, engr, MG, etc) histories for more details and background. It might also be covered in the E&Ss.

If you want to do something in Greece, Crete, or Italy you will (until next year) need to skip the first step and go straight to the unit histories. The arty one might work as a stand in for the campaign histories there, since they tended to play a fairly pivotal role in all the Divs actions.

General points:

1) bear in mind that the default OOBs included in CMAK often require a bit of work to make them match reality.

2) your NZ units (and the other CW too for that matter) shouldn't ever be at more than 90% strength to reflect LOBs. Often they should be significantly lower.

Regards

JonS

[ June 03, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]