Huge Operations

Can anyone give me pointers on how to keep my computer from choking on Huge Operations? I have been trying to play the Crete and Leros Operations and my computer locks up on the first move. I have an 800 Mhz G3 iBook with 32 MB of VRAM and 256MB of RAM. I have 75MB allocated to CMAK. I can play other Huge Operations and Huge Scenarios, but those 2 Operations lock me up every time I've tried. I have tried turning down the video settings for trees and terrain features with no luck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Am I just kinda screwed without a G4 machine for those 2 operations?

:confused:

Download some lo-res terrain mods, this may help, When I had an older computer, I found that this increased performance during larger scenarios.

You can mod these yourself; go into the bmp folder, and reduce the files down by exactly 50% - open them with windows paint, reduce by 50% (both horizontal and vertical aspects) and save. A lot of work, but it may yield dividends.

Someone else may have higher tech solutions.

I don't believe it's the graphics that are causing you to freeze; i think it might be the game is choking on all the calculations it has to make because of how many units start in LOS of one another. Or else it's just plain calculating the AI move. but i don't think decreasing the Graphics quality will help. but perhaps a dev will be along or you could go to the techincal forum; it's probably a better place to get the best answer. smile.gif