How to do a Monte Cassino scenario?

Based on past and subsequent performance, I'd hazard a guess that Freyberg went to have a nosy about.

The US commanders got a bad rep at Cassino for send their guys out on the big right hook into the hills behind the Monastary, in winter, then constantly berating the troops for their lack of progress over ground the commanders had never seen, and never visited. I don't think anyone higher than the various bn COs made the trek into the back blocks.

Regards

JonS

Originally posted by JonS:

Based on past and subsequent performance, I'd hazard a guess that Freyberg went to have a nosy about.

Ben Ariel explicitly states that there is no record of any visit by Freyberg to the frontlines. He is fairly scathing about it. Apparently the closest the Allied commanders ever got, according to him, is to OPs in the rear areas, from where you could see the area, but not get a feel for the ground.

By contrast, Kesselring did visit the forward positions a few times.

Avalon Hill released a boardgame many years ago called Thunder at Cassino. It dealt with the Map problems quite well. Monastry at the top of a big hill,only approachable by infantry; apart from a single road. This could only be accesed after moving through the town, and either taking or bypassing the castle.