Pz.Kpfw.III Gun Mantle/Turret front Questions

I am confused (a little) and would like to put forth a request for information.

smile.gif

I've noticed some oddness wrt the armor thickneses of the turret front and gun mantle of the Pz.Kpfw.III series. Is the baseplate defined in this vehicle (5cm KwK and up) in addition to the mantle thickness? Also, why is the Ausf.H listed as having only 3cm? It shared identical parts with the Ausf.G and up-gunned Ausf.F wrt the mantle and baseplate. (see Spielberger and Jentz for published references)

Thanks

:D

If this question has been answered before (I couldn't find one), please let me know where to find it. I feel foolish for trying a third time having gone so long without so much as a single response, but I can't help being curious, since I do not yet know the answer. Please help!

smile.gif

PS. if everyone thinks I'm and idiot and wishes I'd go away, just say so! No answer at all make me think I must smell bad or something.

tongue.gif

[ February 10, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Abteilung ]