I got my Combat Mission fix, finally!!! Questions..

I promised myself I wouldn't buy it until I got a better system (I was told a faster system would speed up "turns" and graphics would be improved. I have a P3450 with 128 Ram and a Geforce 256 videocard), but I saw the special edition on the shelf while visiting in Vancouver and I couldn't help myself!

I've wanted to get it since I tried the demo for CMBB, but I thought, "ah, I'll get killed in customs, duties, etc (I'm in Canada). But now.. I'll be getting CMBB when it comes out, too.

Personally, I think CMBB is a better version.. I remember the kill-zones and ambushes were easier to set up.. And the graphics were a little better too, I think.. It's been a while.

I'm having a blast! Still trying to figure out how to keep my armour from being wiped out as soon as they crest a hill, and how to keep my flamethrower units and MG's from being left in the dust, for example.. But it's coming..

I like the Canadian Missions.. It's like I'm in "A Bridge Too Far" (A classic!!!).

So, is there an improvement in performance/visual quality with a faster processor/better videocard? Any advantages to advancing under cover of darkness, or should I just skip 'em, or use the turns to barrage?

Thank in advance for any and all comments!

I have a P200, 128Mb, and Voodoo4 with 32 mb, and cmbo just runs fine. In extremely large maps things go sluggish, but for most battles it is ok. So, I guess you don't need to upgrade your system to get the best of it. If you plan to get cmbb, that's another story however.

The beauty of CMBO:SE is that it runs well on older machines. I don't have to fight the other 2 gamers in my family for the newest P4 as CMBO runs on the 2 older machines; a P200mmx with 8MB Voodoo 2 (slow on large scenarios) and P2 450 with stuck on 4MB ATI Rage Pro.

I too am a Canadian who refuses to deal with the exchange rate and Canada Customs delays and random application of the GST. Luckily I'm a mile away from 2 EBgames across the road from each other. I will definitely buy the retail copy of CMBB when it comes out.

Looks like I'll have to wait till next year for CMBB, if what Klapton says about the technical req's is accurate..

Next year.. :(

So, about night missions.. Should I skip 'em? Or use the oppertunity to advance, or carpet barrage?

[ June 19, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: lazysack ]

Lazysack, I forgot to mention that if you like Canadian missions, go to Michael Dorosh's excellent site at www.canadiansoldiers.com/combatmission/combatmission.htm . His downloadable scenario.zip is jammed packed with Canadian action goodies.

I'm currently playing the Little Stalingrad operation which portrays the 1st Canadian Division taking Ortona, Italy (Dec.43) from German Paratroopers. It's an intense house-to-house grinding 7-day operation of which I'm only on day 2 currently. To answer your question re: night turn - I decided not to skip in this situation (night of Day 1) since there is no advantage in losing a one turn opportunity to advance further and pound enemy positions with artillery. It really depends on the individual situation. If you are low on manpower, you may want to skip a night turn if there is a chance of reinforcements the following day.

Thanks Grognard, I'll check that out!

I've only had one night mission.. It was the Canadian Armeggedon one.. I decided not to skip it. Which was good, I think, because I got reinforced, and was able to move them right up to where the rest of my guys were.. If I had skipped it, would they have had to walk all the way from the start of the map to my position?

[ June 20, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: lazysack ]

I would assume if you had skipped the night turn, your reinforcements would still be placeable to where your front line is. It's just that if you DO NOT skip the night turn, you have an extra turn to try to further advance your front line. Is that clear? Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I've only had the game for less than 2 weeks. Still getting the hang of it - after 8 years of numerous versions of Steel Panthers.

I've wanted to get it since I tried the demo for CMBB, but I thought, "ah, I'll get killed in customs, duties, etc (I'm in Canada).
There's no duty on computer equipment, but you will have to pay GST and possibly a GST collection fee on top of that (at least by mail, you do).