Anti-Irish bias in CMAK

REVS

Ok

Just chose 3000 points worth of Aussies, around 120 or so different names. Guess what?

Three were Irish (O'Keefe, O'Farrell, Keane).

And just nine were Scots.

Couldn't see any Welsh at all (no Williams, Brown, Jones at all)

And of the English names, no Smiths. Not one!

But as for footy stars, I had two Kewells (Aussie's striker for Liverpool in the soccer leads), one Fittler (Aussie Rugby League captain), one Thorpe (he of the swimming pool gold medal type) and also one Hackett (another gold medal swimmer).

The Irish were actually equalled by the Italians. Agostino, Rossini, D'Imperio (the immigration program didn't start till 1949!)

And our landmarks often got a guernsey (Cpl Koscuiscko, Sgt Cronulla, Cpl Campsie, Lt Canterbury, Sgt Tully, Lt Parramatta, etc etc)

So well done on the historical accuracy of the names, chaps. You have single-handedly turned a 1940s-era xenophobic, racist Anglo-Irish-Welsh enclave into a remarkably multi-cultural group of lads. All we lack is Trang Van Dong, Xui Zenshau, Panatrupnam Sangaki, Abdul Al Jazeera and Steve Waugh and you'd have the complete modern Australian social history.

Love the game, it's cool, but those names are about as realistic as having FA-18 Tomcats circling over the desert. Come to think of it, that'd be cool...

:D

Yes a bit odd about the lack of Smiths for the ANZACs. WHy there are 1000s of the buggers today Even enough for a joke , there was enough Smiths in the infantry Coy to create a section of Smiths, one cpl one lcpl and 6pers, so for about three months there was a section composed of Smiths. The Major for reasons all his own broke them up, shame for some reason it was very much like the Major Major joke in catch 22.

Originally posted by archi:

honestly if you want Irish names I'm afraid you'll have to play the good old USA.

It would appear the names of all the English speaking nationalities are pooled...hence this thread.

We had five Campbells in our regiment at one time, and I doubt very much that was a record of any sort, especially in a Scottish regiment. We currently have two Dodds, and the CSM did share Bastables' sense of humour by putting them both in the same platoon.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by archi:

honestly if you want Irish names I'm afraid you'll have to play the good old USA.

It would appear the names of all the English speaking nationalities are pooled...hence this thread.

We had five Campbells in our regiment at one time, and I doubt very much that was a record of any sort, especially in a Scottish regiment. We currently have two Dodds, and the CSM did share Bastables' sense of humour by putting them both in the same platoon. </font>