Newbie Post on Tutorial Scenario

Guys, I just bought the game and played through the tutorial scenario from the American side, basically routing the opposition. So, as a challenge, I have tried to play the German side in this same scenario. I did manage to squeeke out a tactical victory once, but this is really tough, and usually I am getting pasted by the computer. No cover to speak of, green troops that panic at the drop of a hat, and an artillary unit that has trouble hitting the ground (I actually had my artillary shell a pinned down position occupied by 2 rifle companies with all the ammo and killed ONE soldier.) I am also having extreme difficulties with the german tanks, i.e., they poke thier head out and get instantly killed by fire from Shermans, usually killed in one shot from around 1000 m. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this battle set up to make it nearly impossible for the Germans?

I found if I move a few more troops to the left side in the set up part of the game it helps as you can use them for a counter atack toward the end of the game...and the two tanks I have them on the road and as close to the little rise as possible.

Then on you first move bring the tanks just over the rise with the “u” command that way there ready for anything , and run you troops on the right toward the flag , Iv’e used the run and hide with some success . Anyway to win you don’t need to do much but protect the flag.

Well maybe it will help........

Bnickb

Wow, it's been a long time, but here is what I remember.

Cover the flag with MGs and FO only. There is no way that the US can push across the road from the open / scattered trees side against 2 HMGs. You may want to leave one platoon at most back for reserves.

Load up the infantry on the left and move them forward into the woods. You want to try to ambush the US in the woods, far enough in to avoid most direct fire from the Shermans.

Once the Shermans are occupied (preferably having turned side on to fire at your team in the woods), hunt the PzIVs into hull down positions and pick them off. Between moving up shrecks in the woods and keeping the tanks back and hull down, you can generally get both at the loss of only one of your own tanks.

From there, you just have to play defense. Artillery will remove most of the US cohesion if brought down on them in the woods and the MG42s do pretty well as they try to cross the road. You can, at this point, pull back your forces from the woods if you like or feel pressured.

PFC Dave, keep in mind that 81mm mortar salvos are not really intended for meting out death and destruction, rather for interdiction and suppression. Sometimes you might get some kills out of it, but use 81mm fire for taking out guns, smoke screens, suppressing the enemy to allow maneuver, and for slowing down advances.

I played again last night (well, last night here in Jakarta) to see what was what (it had been almost three years for that scenario), and as the Germans pretty much trounced the AI US. I did lose one tank (first shot from the Sherman), but as Slappy points out, I got the Shermans one at a time while they were going after my infantry that had just advanced into defensive positions (I put my tanks in the scattered trees to the right of the road and advanced with hunt).

Also, once your tank has acquired a target that could likely kill it in return, give it a reverse order next turn if it has not killed the enemy by the end of the turn. The order delay will allow it to get off a couple of more shots. After an enemy AFV starts firing at your tank, it is not a good idea to just trade shots until one is dead. Get out of sight and engage under favorable circumstances at another time.

I used my 81mm barrage to impede the advancing US troops (but not the first few squads--let them get through and get hit, unsupported, but your defenders). The intial rounds will injure troops not grounded, and then keep them ducking.

Also, set up ambushes with your infantry squads if you can. Wait until 150m (preferably more like 100m or less) to open up on them.

By the way, scenarios can't really be modified (by coding "super" units) to make it impossible for one side. Only real-life factors such as terrain, numbers of troops, and equipment can affect this. In this scenario, it is pretty even, possibly slightly in the Germans' favor.