Does anybody know ...

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by David Chapuis:

Does anybody know the exact rules on when/why engineer squads will throw satchels. I cannot express the extreme frustration I get when I order my engineers to area fire and use explosives, and they dont throw satchels. Or when they are less than 30m from armor with a target order, and they dont throw satchels.

Engineers will take their pretty little time for sure but several things may be the reason for this such as:-

1) The squad's morale condition

2) Experience of squad

3) In or out of command of leader

4) Out of satchel charges

The manual states that "It takes a few minutes (turns) to clear a gap through the mines. The number of engineers and their experience effect their speed in clearing mines."

Another thing you could try is plotting a move order with the waypoint placed on the enemy vehicle instead of targeting directly. The distance between you and the vehicle should be no more than 50 meters. Your squad should automaticaly follow the vehicle and assault it - all being well of course. ;)

I used the above movement method on a KV tank in CMBB just a couple of days ago and it worked like a charm for me. tongue.gif

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

Another thing you could try is plotting a move order with the waypoint placed on the enemy vehicle instead of targeting directly. The distance between you and the vehicle should be no more than 50 meters. Your squad should automaticaly follow the vehicle and assault it - all being well of course. ;)

[/QB]

but if a squad isnt spotted and in good cover, that will get them spotted, possibly pinned, and then possibly not throw the weapon.

When BFC creates a new patch to CMAK they need to add a "use AT weapon" command.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SKELLEN:

but if a squad isnt spotted and in good cover, that will get them spotted, possibly pinned, and then possibly not throw the weapon.

When BFC creates a new patch to CMAK they need to add a "use AT weapon" command. [/QB]</font>

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

Did you read this ? "I used the above movement method on a KV tank in CMBB just a couple of days ago and it worked like a charm for me." ;)

I did read it. The fact that it worked for you a couple of days ago hardly means it is the best way to do something.

Of course your unit may be spotted but it can also work without said unit being spotted, very well in my particular case.

If you are playing against a quality opponent, they wont have tanks running around by themselves. You start running units around chasing tanks, a good opponent will have inf to stop him.

Also any unit can be spotted and not throw there weapon as I've said already, but if you don't make the attempt, you obviously won't know.

Placing a target order on a tank should do the trick, and the game should be smart enough not to have soldiers start blasting away with rifles at the armor when they have satchels. And you cant use the follow tank command when wanting to throw a satchel at a building.

Armour arc is your friend-no need for anti tank command.

You cant give armor arcs to pioneers - so like i said - we need an anti-tank command when BFC releases the next CMAK patch.

I did read it. The fact that it worked for you a couple of days ago hardly means it is the best way to do something.

I never said it was the best way to do something but simply trying to bring one example to your attention.

If you are playing against a quality opponent, they wont have tanks running around by themselves. You start running units around chasing tanks, a good opponent will have inf to stop him.

You've heard of tactical play I'm sure and you use your Tank Hunter team etc, when and where your opponent least expects. Obviously pick the right moment and not have units running around like headless chickens. In other words lay an amush in some place or sneak close to enemy through good cover preferably with Leader stealth bonus to remain undected for example.

Placing a target order on a tank should do the trick, and the game should be smart enough not to have soldiers start blasting away with rifles at the armor when they have satchels. And you cant use the follow tank command when wanting to throw a satchel at a building.

I think you have to remember here that the game is abstract afterall and what if said unit doesn't have satchels, then maybe your unit decides to shoot at tank commander for that important lucky shot. Indeed you can't use follow command on building but that was just an idea on my part (trying to be helpful) for you to use as an alternative to normal targeting i.e. armour.

You cant give armor arcs to pioneers - so like i said - we need an anti-tank command when BFC releases the next CMAK patch.

Not trying to state the obvious here but try using a normal cover arc commmand at say 40 meters or so. Just remember what you see on screen isn't everything that could be happening -maybe unit dropped his satchel charge, scratched his head, picked his nose, was daydreaming etc. smile.gif

Not trying to state the obvious here but try using a normal cover arc commmand at say 40 meters or so. Just remember what you see on screen isn't everything that could be happening -maybe unit dropped his satchel charge, scratched his head, picked his nose, was daydreaming etc.

apparently that is what my engineers were doing in the particular game that was driving me nuts.

anyway, thanks for the input. I will be trying the follow tank route if I dont think he will get gunned down by inf.

[ April 22, 2008, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: David Chapuis ]

Units about to conduct dangerous close assaults against enemy armor need to pass morale checks to do so. That is why there is an uncertainty and a delay in the attacks, even from the same conditions and orders. This is no more a bug or something to remove, than tank main guns hitting or missing probabilistically. Your men might cowboy up and attack in 10 seconds, or chicken out and take a minute and a half. Live with it.

Originally posted by JasonC:

This is no more a bug or something to remove, than tank main guns hitting or missing probabilistically. Your men might cowboy up and attack in 10 seconds, or chicken out and take a minute and a half. Live with it.

I think that point was already made - and never argued with.