Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Italian History Grogs

I'm doing some scenario's for an Australian Army project looking at the battles in North Africa involving Australian troops. I have (as you would expect!) excellent sources from the Australian side, but little from the Italian.

I want to give a balanced view to this, I'm selecting battles that are interesting and/or hard fought (such as Post 11 at Bardia). I'm looking at Bardia and Derna to start with.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers

Rob Carpenter

Deputy Director Simulation Development

Australian Army.

Try either http://forum.axishistory.com (when it is running again), and there the European Axis Nations and/or WW2 in Africa sections. And/or http://www.comandosupremo.com/ I believe they have a forum as well.

I am quite certain that the Italian army has a historical research unit, but that is from other people referring to it.

Sorry to not be able to be more helpful.

[ July 08, 2005, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Okay, I just checked the Italian army site. They have a historical office:

http://www.esercito.difesa.it/root/Sezioni/pag_storico.asp

Contact details:

Presso l'Ufficio Storico in Via Etruria, 23 - 00183 Roma Tutti i giorni feriali dal lunedi al venerdi dalle 09.00 alle 11.00, previ accordi telefonici.

ULTERIORI INFORMAZIONI

Stato Maggiore Esercito - Ufficio Storico Via Etruria, 23 - 00183 Roma.Tel. 06/47358671 - Fax 06/47358062

E-mail: uff.storico@tin.it

You can try to contact them yourself, alternatively, I am in Rome next week and may have some time to go and visit them. In which case I would need you to email me with as much detail on what you need as possible between now and Tuesday morning.

It is highly likely that anything they may have is in Italian, only. I can maybe negotiate my way through their catalogue in Italian, but I won't be able to translate things, I think.

Thanks again!

the Commandosupremo Forum is very useful!

I'm after the deployments of forces for the Defence or Bardia and Tobruk, which units where. I know the units, I know where the posts are, I just don't know which unit to which post.

We captured these documents so i will also try our War memorial and archives.

Cheers

Rob