Human Wave Problem

I was playing a pbem and I just gave a large human wave command to about a company supported by as much covering fire as I had.When I viewed the turn just now the entire company ran to there destination, they did not carry out there human wave order which I know I gave to them.Did the AI change my command?What happened?Buy the way they suffered about 75% casualties.

Human Wave is totally worthless IMHO. CMBB does not simulate enough troops in 95% of scenarios to justify human wave tactics. Besides, even if you had a 10 to 1 diffrence vs the German side, would you really want to use a command that sends 75% of your men to their graves while the remaining 25% shove their faces in the dirt and cry out for mommie? I think this command would suit an operational level game better that a tactical one of CM's scale.

Speaking of operational games, I have been eye-balling Korsun Pocket. Might have to grab it after Trotter's excellent review of it in this month's PC Gamer. Gonna wait for the price to drop thou...

The 'Human Wave' command plots two waypoints for the selected unit(s): a MOVE command to within a certain distance of the final destination (I think about 50m), and then a RUN command for the last 50m or so. There is no 'Human Wave' waypoint or movement action per se, kind of like the 'Shoot and Scoot' command is actually a FAST move, followed by a brief pause, and then (usually) a REVERSE move.

So why not just plot a MOVE and then a RUN order? according to the manual, the HUMAN WAVE command does give troops some morale bonus over simple MOVE and RUN commands. This is a difficult thing to test, but I'll take BTS' word for it.

And as for HUMAN WAVE being useless, I tend to agree. I certainly don't use it any time I have the ADVANCE and/or ASSAULT command available to me. If you're working with conscripts, though, these commands aren't available, so HUMAN WAVE is all you really have beyond just plotting MOVE and/or RUN commands and hoping for the best.

If you're in a situation where HUMAN WAVE is your only option, think WWI-style tactics. The few times I've had success with it has been when I've been able to combine it with (1) Massive preparatory artillery barrage preceeding my troops going 'over the top', (2) generous amounts of MG and DF HE support, (3) considerable numerical superiority - remember to spread your platoons out so one enemy MG burst can't supress multiple units, and finally (4) at least some degree of cover/concealment on the approach to the objective - even brush helps reduce the effects of enemy fire considerably, both by making units harder to spot, but also by stopping a some of the bullets. If there is no covered route of approach, make one with arty smoke.

It ain't pretty, but it can work. As the saying goes, sometimes you have to, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

Cheers,

YD

Human wave is useful when you have green/conscript troops that need to traverse a little open ground where they make take some long range fire. A normal move or run will end up with pinned/broken squads. The Human Wave helps them cross that 20m of open ground.

Human Waving into close range generally just ends up with a lot of dead russians.