New Scenario - Operation Peiper

Just uploaded the latest offering from Charlie and myself over at The Proving Grounds -

Operation Peiper

Peiper’s III ‘Blowtorch’ (armoured) Battalion from SS Panzergrenadier Regt 2 conducts a deep penetration mission to rescue the 320th “Heart” Infantry Division during the Battle Of Kharkov, February 1943.

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details_link.html?sku=922

Please enjoy, and, as always, feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc & Charlie Meconis

Just curious; where does the "heart" designation come from? German divisions/regiments were named for the regions they were raised, with some units having honorifics in the form of names, usually drawn from German history or reflecting composition of the unit; Grossdeutschland (recruited form across the Reich), Hoch und Deutschmeister, Brandenburg, Kurmark, etc.

Hi Michael

From what I can find out the 320th Infanterie Division was named (nicknamed?) "Herz" because of their Divisonal emblem which was, I believe, a green heart. Guhl mentions the name "Herz" in an account of the action in "Jochen Peiper" by Patrick Agte. Restayn in "The Battle of Kharkov. Winter 1942 -43" has a picture on page 408 of horse drawn carriages of the 320th ID with the following div symbol - a white shield with a heart (green?) in the centre.

I'll double check this with Charlie - and get back to you smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George Mc