Mod Idea......T9 U.S.Light Tank

Anyone heard of the T9? It was a light tank designed in WW2 to be transportable by air for support in airborne operations. The British used a few in their airborne and glider assault over the Rhine in 1945. They called it the "locust". These tanks proved to lightly armored to survive on the battlefield so the remaining 100 at Rock Island Arsenal were sold as farm tractors in 1946 for $100 each!

I saw one at the Arsenal recently and it looked like a "Baby Sherman". Might be a cool mod? If anyone is interested I can take pictures and send them out to any modders who might want to add this rare tank to the CM games.

It was also known as the M22 after September 1944. The Standard Ordnance Items Catalog from 1944 gives the specs. 16,000 lbs, very light armor (1 inch max), 37mm gun, one 30 cal mg.

I did not realize any saw service. Panzertruppe, do you have any more info on the action they saw? Perhaps they also were used in the Pacific?

Download the catalog from MHI

I seem to recall a photo of an American airborne tank in one of the old Time-Life WWII books....I thought it was used by the glider forces at Normandy but this is going on old memories.

I wonder what they expected the 37mm to accomplish at that late date...a 75mm low-velocity gun, or even twin .50s, might have been more useful.

- Matt

I did not realize any saw service. Panzertruppe, do you have any more info on the action they saw? Perhaps they also were used in the Pacific?

The M22 was never used in combat with the Americans,the only combat they saw was with the British 6th Airborne Division on March 24th 1945.