CMAK oral history book recommendations

Wandering around the wasteland that is central London yesterday, I not only did my Japanese beer-shopping, but also fell into a budget bookstore on Tottenham Court Road.

I walked out £11 lighter, having bought the IWM's official Italy book, by Fieldmarshal Lord Carver, but also two very interesting looking oral histories, one of the 2nd Norfolks (famous from the massacre at Le Paradis, and Kohima), and the 16th DLI, mostly about their service in Italy. Both of these went for £2.99, which is a pretty reasonable price, considering that Hart is the official oral historian of the IWM, so you would expect him to do his job well. His third book from the series 'To the last round', a history of the South Notts Hussars, the artillery regiment that engaged German tanks at Knightsbridge over open sights and got destroyed in the process, unfortunately was not there. I am considering getting that for a lot more money elsewhere.

Heat of Battle - 16th DLI

At the sharp end - 2nd Norfolks

To the last round - South Notts Hussars

Edited because I can not tell the DWR from the DLI. Feh.

[ September 16, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

I really like good oral histories (and the ones Andreas mentioned are very good indeed. And I paid £8 for my copies - jammy bugger, Andreas!)

Reading about how this or that general "won" the battle (usually written by that general) has it's place but it is, IMO, very important to "hear" from the men at the "tip of the spear" and, of course, those who supported them.