Another idea for the new engine...

...yeah, yeah, I know, there've been a million suggestions, but this one got to be new:

How about enabling cooperative play over TCP/IP and Email?

I recently had an american guest here (old friend of mine) and introduced him to Combat Mission. Instead of playing Hotseat German vs. Russians, I simple "gave him control" over my Tank Platoon and kept the Infantry for myself.

That way we'd both play independently, but trying to support each others units to reach the common assault goal.

Now, while this is easy to do on one computer, it also would solve a lot of PBEM Problems - I know to many people (including me) who simple have all the tactics and books on the german side, and won't play russian. How cool would it be, if in a PBEM both guys could be on the same side, and each controls the units allocated to him personally.

I suppose it could currently be done by sending single-player savegames around, but that really is a very crude way of doing it. And it wouldn't work over a direct connection.

You guys like that idea? Cooperative Victory over a strong AI sounds cool to me.

This is an interesting idea, but I think it would only really be effective in the larger scenarios. I think (and this is just my personal opinion) that I would get frustrated waiting for my ally to send me his PBEM to see what occurred in a mission that I could easily have coordinated myself.

Beating the AI with a friend still wouldn't be as gratifying as actually beating the tar out of that friend instead.

My two pesos.