The end was nigh

Had a weird thing happen to me yesterday. Had been playing the on-disc Operation Kalnikova Railway (know that's wrong, but I don't have it here at work). I think it's about 8 battles. Was playing the Reds versus German AI.

The 3rd last and 2nd last battles were pretty bloody and climactic, and towards the end of the second last I ran out of targets. I was spread pretty thin though and just assumed that there were more Germans hiding deeper in the forest.

The set-up at the start of the last battle seemed to confirm this. Typical jigsaw puzzle with several no-go zones between my scattered units and along the flanks and rear of the map.

But when I started the battle I noticed that the computer player wasn't "thinking" its move. That load bar just stayed up for a millisecond before the compile movie one did. I assumed that the AI had very few units left, and that perhaps it was even just a single gun that couldn't move.

Well, after 25 turns of running units around in the forest in huge skirmish lines and having mortar squads stand at attention in the open, I couldn't flush any Jerries out. Then at the end of the battle I was awarded a total victory. When I clicked back to the map there were no enemy units at all!.

Why wouldn't the operation just end on the 2nd last battle if I had destroyed all of the enemy units, there were no reinforcements scheduled and I had posession of all flags and about 80% of the map?