Backing up files

I wasn't sure where to put this, and since it has to do with CMBB, I guess this is an ok location. Recently I have started to download graphic mods, some for CMMOS, and some that are standalone. The standalone ones often tell you to back up the original graphics as the new ones will replace the old ones.

I was wondering how do you back up your old files, so they can be used again if you do not wish to use the mod you downloaded, or switch between the two for various games.

Do you just copy the old files and put them in a separate folder, then install the new mod? If you want to revert back, do you zip the copied (old) files and extract them back?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

What I do is simply check what numbers are being replaced with my mod (2400.bmp thru 2429.bmp for instance), pull the originals out of the game BMP folder and drop them in a backup folder, then throw the new mod art into the bmp folder. Simple as pie.

Alternately, if you've got more available hard drive space than God, you could make a copy of the entire giant bmp file and put is someplace for safe keeping. Then as the need arises you can go and fish out backup files from that folder.

Or you could dig-up that CMMOS mod manager program so no bmp files ever get overwritten :DMod manager programs