Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Another artillery correction issue

I give a correction order from a target in LOS. When the new order is within spotting range, no problem, short delay, good accuracy. When the new order is only one meter out of LOS, a complete new order is plotted. Seems odd to me.

Regarding the delay & accuracy - why is a new order plotted? Within the normal range of a correction order it doesn't matter if the new order is in or out of LOS! Nobody from the FO to the gun crew needs more time for the correction (indeed does nobody except the FO even know if they fire with or without LOS). And an FO indeed order not much more then 'range plus 100, 50 to the left). It doesn't matter if he order it with or without LOS. The only thing that would influence this could be the experience of the FO.

Originally posted by redwolf:

Scipio, that is a neccessary limitation of the artillery model.

If you removed that restriction from the game model you would make artillery way too powerful to be realistic, you would get a god-like "drop anywhere and even watch it" functionality.

I see what you mean, but I guess I had something else in mind. A target correcteion order to an unspotted point (within the normaly allowed correction area) is possible (in reality) and mostly as accurate as a correction to a spotted new target.

I didn't meant that a correction order from a point out of LOS to another point (spotted or not) should be accurate, too. The delay might be (maybe - I never tried to correct an unspotted artillery order) shorter, but the accuracy of the second correction will be as worse as it would be to any other unspotted point.

In programming terms you need only one or two boolean variables to keep track of it.

Originally posted by Scipio:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

Scipio, that is a neccessary limitation of the artillery model.

If you removed that restriction from the game model you would make artillery way too powerful to be realistic, you would get a god-like "drop anywhere and even watch it" functionality.

I see what you mean, but I guess I had something else in mind. A target correcteion order to an unspotted point (within the normaly allowed correction area) is possible (in reality) and mostly as accurate as a correction to a spotted new target.

I didn't meant that a correction order from a point out of LOS to another point (spotted or not) should be accurate, too. The delay might be (maybe - I never tried to correct an unspotted artillery order) shorter, but the accuracy of the second correction will be as worse as it would be to any other unspotted point.

In programming terms you need only one or two boolean variables to keep track of it. </font>

This is right, but for all artillery that falls to a random place.

Well, but if an artillery order out of LOS can't be corrected without plotting a new target order (even into an LOS area)? Once the target area is out of LOS, a correction order would be always cause the new order with long delay and a new target area (of course random, if the new target is out of LOS, too). Wouldn't this cut the advantage?